1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can someone concisely explain Parade magazine to me?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jan 30, 2009.

1. I'm not American, and I always thought Parade was some small magazine of some sort that made All-America picks. Now I see talk of "73 million readers" and "highest-circulation magazine in America" and such, and I'm flabbergasted. What IS it? What does it look like? Who reads it?

Etc. Thanks!

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

"Parade" provides weekly updates to the "American Handbook," which is a secret document for Americans only, so that's why you haven't heard of it.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

svb: It's a free insert in a lot of the newspapers. It looks like an ad insert (that same type of paper, no staples, just folded pages together) and it has stuff like Reader's Digest would have. Random stories, some helpful recipes, Marilyn vos Savant (a genius who takes questions from readers and solves them) and the first page which is always some stupid "Hey, what's Hal Holbrook up to nowadays?" stuff.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

73 million readers? maybe 73 million people who throw it away when it comes as an insert in the sunday paper.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And longtime Parade celeb chronicler James Brady just died, which figures to knock that circulation down a few million ;)

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

It also has some sweet cartoons, such as Howard Huge.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

WHAT?? Crap. I always loved how his "profiles" had a lot more to do with him than they did the subject.

Oh, and I loved his eyebrows.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I once rented a movie called "Howard Huge." It wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That guy deserves his own RIP thread.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I swear, for a long time I wondered why the guy in Parade Magazine was lobbying so hard for handgun laws.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I actually thought it was the same guy for a while. I'm dead serious. I'm sort of a moron.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Leroy the journalist comes home from a hard day at work.

Draft saved Draft deleted