1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can somebody explain what I'm missing here?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, May 19, 2008.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

http://sportsonmymind.com/2008/05/19/the-sports-blogosphere-and-todays-latest-news/#more-384

This piece is a series of sentence fragments, all of which begin with "Because ...."

What question are they answering?
    Is thing thing really as virulent a diatribe on white sportswriters as it seems to be? I'm seriously confused and not necessarily seeking to inflame.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure. Usually, "because" is the answer to "why?"

Why?

Because

Because why?

Just because

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Wow. That was beyond awful.

Some of it was incoherent, some of it just pure bullshit.

"Because Tony Dungy isn't black, not really." STFU.

4. Babs

Babs Member

To steal from another thread -- I hear whining.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So you've met my niece, then...

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well that's flat out the worst pile of crap I've read in some time, and that's without even considering the simple-minded ultra-paranoid content. Hell, the central premise of the piece was one glaring grammar error--using "because" clauses to answer a "what" premise question. And the additional examples of sheer incoherence, flawed logic, and elementary school errors are FAR too numerous to list here.

I hope D-Wil is either a child or tapped this out in a drunken haze, I'd hate to think he has no excuses.

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Wow, that just keeps going on, doesn't it ...

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Any cogent points that might have been made were lost in the sheer weariness, anger and volume of that piece.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What I heard was, "Well, I have to write a column today but I have no idea what the hell I want to write about."

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

>>Because they fail to understand that “J-school” is just learning another trade and is part and parcel of “The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America” (buy the book, assholes, you might just learn why you’re so fucking brainwashed and don’t realize that you are…)

Because sportswriting should reflect the amalgamation of your experiences not the number of credits it took to graduate with a b.s. B of A.<<

OK..Here's what I'm tired of, the idea that earning a degree in journalism is BS..I am a pack rat. I recently got rid of my college notebooks, but I went through them first. With more than 20 years of professional experience as a sports writer under my belt now (and presumably some life experience) I was amazed at the depth of my classwork. And that was just in something like 55 or so hours of journalism, because of course most of it was done in liberal arts to give that well-rounded education. Was some of it crap? Of course. But you know something, we are educated to do what we do, including the ethics of what we do. Why?
    Because.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I think the statement was more to the fact that a degree in journalism doesn't necessarily equal ability or guarantee future success. Especially when you consider the state of some journalism programs in this country.

I don't have a degree...I got all my journalism chops doing high school football, going through the military's journalism school, etc. And while I don't doubt that many aspects of the college experience certainly add to a journalist's base knowledge, having that instead of real ability and smarts is a problem.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Surprised no one has said it yet but ...

BLOGS!

Draft saved Draft deleted