1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can somebody explain to me the Springsteen popularity?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Feb 2, 2009.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I realize I take my life in my hands with this topic, and I'm not trying to be a wise-ass, but I just want somebody to tell me exactly what it is that makes him so popular. I have tried to figure it out and the best I can come up with is his amazing energy on stage.

I don't believe he has a great voice and, while Clarence is certainly good on the sax, the rest of the music background is rather ordinary. So, tell me, is it an age thing and the fact that I'm 62, or am I missing something else? I just don't see why he has so many people groveling at his feet.

Tell me I'm crazy, or tell me you agree. Whatever. But thanks for trying to help.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Okay, you're crazy. :D

(You left the door open. All I did was drive the Zamboni through it. :) )

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Let's get this out of the way right now: When you have to cater to the millions of people who watch the Super Bowl, you likely have to water yourself down a bit to appeal to everybody. Please don't judge Springsteen for a 12-plus minute performance at a Super Bowl as the rule.

If and when he comes to your town, go see him in concert. He's a hard-working showman who delivers and this is coming from someone who saw one of his shows that opened Staples Center in L.A. I hadn't really cared much about seeing him, but some friends had an extra ticket so I went along with it. Bruce and the E Street Band turned in a great show (it wasn't a show littered with a lot of his hits, either) and made me respect him and the band much more.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He's good. Very good. Never turned out to be the future of rock and roll as Rolling Stone anointed him in the 1970s. Shows you how desperate the music biz was back then.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Springsteen has been around for a long time.

If you haven't gotten it by now, I don't think you will.

Different strokes, etc.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, this is always the line. And it continues to fail to make sense.

If I don't like an artist, or can't figure out why everyone else does, the last thing I'm doing is dropping $175 or whatever to go listen to him for three hours. Makes zero sense.

If you like Springsteen and just don't know if you'd like him live...fine. But if the point is "I don't get it, I don't like the music that much" why would the advice ever be "go spend a godless amount of money for something you still might not enjoy?"

7. I never saw the appeal either, and I listen to pretty much everything except country.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I went to a Springsteen concert a few years ago...when he was spending lots of time preaching during his songs....can't recall the tour. It was fun, it wasn't my favorite. I'm much more familiar with this "born to run" era stuff.

As far as I'm concerned U2, followed very closely by the Rolling Stones, are by far the best concerts I have ever been to. And I've been to lots of them.

Edit: Don't get wrong, I think he's a hell of a performer, and I know he is revered. I just wouldn't spend $175+ on a concert ticket..but I would to U2 or the Stones.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Same here, though I do like "Born To Run."

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Come on Casty get with it. Dion has left the building and won't be coming back soon.

What I have always loved about Springsteen is the brass. Same for Southside Johnny.

With Springsteen you have to listen to the beat. If you take most of his lyrics to heart they will bum you out. A lot of his stuff sounds happy but in reality is pretty dark.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There's the old line "there are two types of people - those who have seen Springsteen in concert and those that have", but in a nod to IJAG, it's understandable if you don't want to spend $110 (including TM surcharges) to see him in concert (unless you go for the cheap seats then its only $75).

In the live shows there's a power and passion that's rarely equalled in music today.

On vinyl (or CD for you youngsters <G>) there's a power and meaning to the lyrics that many connect with. When those lyrics are combined with great music it makes things even more special. That's what you get with Bruce. For a lot of people its a matter of connecting with the material and how it makes you feel.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Paging pallister...pallister to the white courtesy phone...

Draft saved Draft deleted