1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CAN SJ'ers, Dion's Days are Numbered

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2007/09/17/qc-byelections0917.html

Anyone want to wager how long Dion will stay on as leader. There is rumour that the Ignatieff camp influenced senior Liberals to steer clear of these Quebec elections and not help in campaigning.

But if Ignatieff thinks he is a shoo in for the leadership, I think he better watch his back. Gerald Kennedy is a much stronger option for the Liberals and should junior Trudeau win his seat in the next election (Justin), I'd bet anything that the Liberal party would push for him to become their leader.

As for the NDP, they must be buoyed by this result. They made a small, but significant gain in Quebec. Layton is probably hoping that Harper will now call an election. Duceppe has got to wonder if his time as leader is starting to unravel too after this result. Harper probably thinks that since he made more inroads in Quebec, he will get his majority in the next election. Hey, Harper, did you forget how you screwed Atlantic Canada with the Atlantic Offshore Accord? You can kiss their support goodbye!

Canadian SJ'ers, get ready to go to the polls in the spring!

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dion was the absolute worse choice as leader. The guy is a brilliant analyst and is generally the smartest guy in the room but has about as much personality as a box of Shreddies.

Ignatieff, despite his pedigree, is a liability--too many skeletons in the closet.

Trudeau's too young. Way too young and his name is death in the West. His father's comment, "Why should I sell your wheat?" will come back to haunt him.

For the Liberals to make any ground, Gerard Kennedy is their next best hope.

Harper's beatable but sure as hell not with Dion.

3. Cansportschick

I think if the Liberals were smart, they would make a change now at the helm. They are banking on the throne speech that is supposed to discuss the environment because this is supposedly Dion's "baby". Give me a break, because not even that will help him. He may smart but he can't lead and he is from the old regime: sponsorship scandal period. Quebec will simply not forgive him or the party. Kennedy would have a greater shot to make serious gains in Quebec.

Yeah, junior Trudeau will have problems in the West and Quebec for sure, but young is not a bad thing. He also has a charisma that right now is unmatched in the Liberal Party (Kennedy, maybe). The eulogy at senior Trudeau's funeral showcased that to Canadians and there was a lot of buzz about him becoming Prime Minister one day. Sometimes it is the younger ones who can run the country better than the ones who have been there for years.

So when should we expect baby Mulroney to run for the Conservatives?

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Damn, I thought you meant Celine. :mad:

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ditto

6. Cansportschick

At least I got you looking! Hey, she is not the only famous "dion" claim to fame.

Personally, I can't stand her.

7. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

I'm no Tory, but if you think that Atlantic Canada means diddly in terms of who the next PM is going to be you are sadly mistaken. No matter how skewed the Population Representation/Riding totals become, the Atlantic provinces just don't have enough seats to matter. (Or enough revenue)

It's about Ontario, Quebec, and B.C/Alberta. Thanks for showing up the rest of you's ... .

And Yeah, Dion is done. Maybe the Liberals are done for a while also ... .

8. Cansportschick

If the Liberals can sway BC and Ontario, which they have done in the past, an election is winnable, but not with Dion at the helm. Atlantic Canada is gravy. The person who could potentially do the swaying is Kennedy at this present time.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thirty years later. :)

11. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I thought Phaneuf already had problems with Keenan.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Too many Dions, not enough time.

Draft saved Draft deleted