1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can police remove you from a private school?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Nov 13, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Do you think I could get WiFi from jail?

3. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

Just a quick note. When tragedy or emergency situations strike remember emotions will be a little high. Best bet is to let your zoom lens be your best friend. Out of sight, out of mind.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The zoom on a Flip camera only works so well. Outside of 100 feet, it's pretty useless.

5. KP

KP Active Member

Witnessed a similar situation last winter - state owned building however. Hockey team has a kid get paralyzed on a Saturday night (I wasn't there), gets pretty good airtime in major metro market. So Wednesday rolls around for their next game (I'm there covering it, as are 2-3 tv stations), same team has another kid goes headfirst into the boards. Out cold. So EMTs are working on the kid, camera guy next to me keeps rolling for the back row of the stands. Doesn't take five minutes before a state trooper is giving him grief, going straight for the "how would you feel if that was your kid laying out there" line.
    Pure ego and the belief that he can get the situation under control by sheer intimidation. Provided no help to where the meaningful activity was - on the ice.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Could this be about being a little insensitive to the player?

You are there to cover a game. Once hurt, that player is not longer part of the game, so how much actually needs to be filmed? Not sure where the line is there.

A football game is like a public event. They lose the presumption of privacy when they play. It's like a kid not wanting to be photographed but tells the School Board to piss off. It is a public meeting, and the kid chose to be there.

Plus, when you do the stats, do you use their real name?

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It's also kind of hard to argue first amendment with a cop when he's got a gun.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The game was delayed for a half hour because of the injured player. I would say the injured player was definitely part of the story. Add in to the equation it was a game between two undefeated teams and the last game of the season, it makes the injured player all the more a part of the story.
    This was not about being insensitive. It was about telling the story of the game -- a game that was interupted for 30 minutes because a kid was lying face down on the field and couldn't move.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you use voiceovers for online video? If you just shoot video of a kid getting worked on by paramedics and then getting into an ambulance, it's a disservice if you don't provide context.

I hate just posting video because it's useless and generates little traffic and not enough revenue to justify producing it.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I see where you guys are coming from.

I was thinking this was for something like the 11 o'clock news and the plays of the week.

If a game is stopped for that long, you have to do something, and how close the camera is zoomed in on the kid is an individual call.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just hearing your side of the story, I hope that you were calm during this situation.
    You were within your rights to video what was going on. That is your job. Getting confrontational wouldn't have helped your situation. Take down the officer's information (name, badge, etc.). Report the situation to your editor and then I'm sure a company lawyer would be called in to take the proper steps in filing any grievance for you and the paper.
    As long as you were not impeding the job of the EMS personnel and the police, you should've been fine.
    Who won the game?

12. KP

KP Active Member

Interesting that last night WFXT in Boston had this piece on cell phone video.
    http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/special_reports/cell-phone-video-know-your-rights-20101117

Draft saved Draft deleted