1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Pitino survive?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bob, Aug 12, 2009.

1. bob

bob Member

I throw this out to those of you more familiar (than me) with the college environment. I'm figuring he might be done and will end up back in the NBA eventually.

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

It really depends on what info comes out during the trial. There could be other women...

3. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

This incident is quite the ding on his image.

I'll also take the "wait and see" approach until we learn more.

The fact that he has admitted to having relations and paying for an abortion is damaging enough.

But a married father of five who is as high profile as he is just screams of his arrogance.

Plus, since he is a devout Catholic, I wonder what the ramifications from his church will be?

I think there are many more layers of this to come.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

this will not end well for him. ::)

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

There are three varibles, off the top of my head:

1) The school. Does the president, the board of trustess, the AD stand behind him?

2) Can Pitino handle the abuse he's going to get from fans? He's not the thickest-skinned guy around.

3) His family. Does he want to stay married? Does his wife? Does he want to get out of the spotlight for a while to protect its privacy?

He's going to have to be sure of all of this to stay on. Since the season doesn't start for a almost three months, he has time to figure out all of this.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Plus, since he is a devout Catholic[...

What makes you say he is a devote Catholic?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The more important question is, does Providence College take down the 1987 Final Four banner, or do they just sew a scarlet A on it?

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

So says this, from the WWL site:
    Pitino is Catholic and brings along close friend and spiritual adviser, the Rev. Edward Bradley -- a priest in Henderson, Ky. -- on many team trips. Bradley often prays with the team before games and is a fixture near the Louisville bench.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As long as he continues to win, he's fine...

Louisville isn't Notre Dame or BYU.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

And that's what the saddest part of all of this is.
    If Pitino wasn't winning, he'd be gone.
    Just win baby.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

How long til Whitlock comes out with another doozie saying that coaches shouldn't be married?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Remember when Calipari told recruits Lou Carnesecca had terminal cancer and might die before they ended their freshmen seasons? Well, Cal's got some new material on the recruiting trail.

Draft saved Draft deleted