1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can papers survive when competitors fall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PatrickCarney, Feb 28, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Indeed. And hard to imagine the Morning News going anywhere. The Tribune, I don't know. Doesn't seem to be one of those markets that you hear much about though, which is probably to its benefit.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They should survive and thrive. They usually jack up the ad prices and companies have no choice but to play along.

Unfortunately what usually happens is they start cutting staff and stop spending money because when they have no competition, they tend to get complacent. It's one of the reasons why I always thought the three South Florida papers were all so good, because they had to rise to their competition. Same thing in Denver before the JOA.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I worked at a paper where the competitor was having financial problems and they started traveling less as a result. Within a few weeks, the bean counters at our paper noticed we were traveling two more people each week for NFL games and we cut that number to what they were doing. At one point both papers were doing a special section each week and when they stopped, we stopped a few weeks later.

Good competition really brings out the best in a paper. Unfortunately, there are so few markets where that still exists.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I haven't heard of any layoffs at the Trib. The D-News laid off a good number a while back, but still have a bigger newsroom than the Trib.

Draft saved Draft deleted