1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Michael Vick get through a press conference without being...well, himself?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Reuben Frank

Reuben Frank Member

haha, wow, an angry dude! curses and everything! feel better now?

hey, Beardpuller! hope to see ya soon!

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I got this exact vibe from it too. (It was not there.) It seemed more like he was saying "It's sort of obvious how I feel, isn't it? Do I really have to try to put it in words?" When I saw the whole exchange, the questions before it and questions after it, it seemed anything but malicious. He seemed kind of exasperated. I mean, how is he supposed to feel? Devastated? Horrified? Would we be happier if he broke down in tears? I'm no Vick apologist, but it seems some people are really trying to pounce on something here that seemed fairly innocuous simply because they really dislike Vick.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I posted it on the NFL thread, but at least for myself, let me clarify: I don't know that I necessarily have a huge problem with Vick's response. I like responses that offer actual substance instead of the Tom Brady school of talking for three minutes and saying nothing. I've always liked Serena too.

However, taken with last week's bitching about the refs, and then that new tidbit yesterday that he was a no-show for the first two episodes of his radio gig and now that show has been canceled, he seems to be showing some strain with the whole face-o'-franchise thing and the league image-makers dressing him up as Mr. Good Guy. I am one who has never bought into his reform; he is simply doing what he needs to do to play football because of the gobs of money available. And I think these are all early clues that his disposition really could sour despite the team's and league's and networks' best efforts.

I believe he had similar problems early in Atlanta, but the Falcons swept them under the rug and protected him.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

He's allowed to get testy. Why does he have to walk on such thin ice? He isn't Ray Lewis (who was involved in the death of a guy in bar fight) or Donte Stallworth (killed someone with a DUI and somehow stayed out of jail).

What he did was incredibly cruel, but he served jail time and lost $100 million. That to me is plenty of payment for his crime.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He lost $100 million? Didn't he just recently find it?

And for the record, I think Michael Vick is a horrible person. Not sure if I made that clear previously.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So you're saying he and Mike Martz deserve one another? It's a pairing I think many could root for, but for nontraditional reasons.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I hadn't thought of that, but what a perfect marriage that would be. I'm going to ask for that for Christmas. Maybe pray on it a little.

8. JPsT

JPsT Member

WHOA! Donte Stallworth did, like, 24 days in jail. He paid his time!

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is so lazy and stupid. How was Lewis involved? He was there, that does not mean involvement.
    What Vick did was 1000 times worse than Lewis.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Helping someone cover up a murder of a human being is a thousand times worse than killing dogs?

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I remember hearing not long after Vick signed his latest contract that if he managed to collect every dollar of it, which isn't likely, he might be able to break even on his debts.

12. Situation

Situation Member

And what about Stallworth? Getting behind the wheel of a vehicle drunk and taking the life of a human being ... Is that worse than killing dogs?

Draft saved Draft deleted