1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Isiah Thomas be any dumber?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 18, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's called tolerance in a society of diverse cultures. To question the cultural mores and apparent hypocrisy of the societal structure is to be racist and intolerant.

It's basically a black thing and not only wouldn't you understand it, but trying to question it publicly is professional suicide.

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Sorry, pal. I'll make sure to run 'em by you from now on.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A newbie mistake, just go back to general assignment for a while and you'll be fine.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The "it's a DB" thing loses its effectiveness unless you post it pretty quick after the thread started. I think the "it's a DB" should be in the first or second reply, not after the thread has started to gain momentum. Especially when the other thread has zero replies.

But run this by IJAG, she seems to be the arbiter of these kind of SportsJournalists.com issues.

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Whatever, I don't care. I get micromanaged enough at work.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I can honestly say that this incident didn't change my opinion of him at all.

7. Thinking Man

Thinking Man Member

When the Pistons first cut ties with Isiah, as a Detroiter, I was in shock. For most of his career, he was absolutely beloved in this town. There had been a few quirks ... a fight with Laimbeer, an altercation with a local TV reporter and probably a few I'm forgetting. But he was viewed as a good guy and a great player. Now, I have to say Bill Davidson absolutely made the right call. Thank God he hired Joe Dumars to run the show. These comments from Isiah are absolutely beyond stupid. He's trying to invoke the old race double-standard card.... and even f**** that up!! Unbelievable.... thank you New York for taking this shit-bag off of our hands.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Unless you forgot to use the blue font, let me see if I get this straight: Society should tolerate the calling of a woman a bitch, if she and the person calling her the name are of a particular race.

Is that about it?

9. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Beat me to it. That Stuey quote was the first thing I thought of when I read Isiah's today. This whole notion that some slurs are OK for African Americans to say but not anyone else has got to go. If its offensive its offensive, it shouldn't matter the skin color of the speaker.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Shit-bag. That's a good term.

A preening, narcissistic shit-bag.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I can't speak for IJAG, but it would seems anywhere on page 1 would be an acceptable d_b call out behavior. The first few posts can slip by pretty quickly before a d_b prospector has a chance to announce their find.

And depending on the level of douchosity of the poster starting the thread, pointing out a d_b on page 2 or beyond could also be deemed appropriate. That, though, requires a case by case judgement call.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My question is, yeah this makes Isiah look like a completefuckingmoron, but how bad does Dolan look for hiring him and allowing this crap to go on? Too bad the Garden will always be full because this guy will never be fired. What if this happened in Dallas, Chicago, Cleveland, does management let it go? Methinks not. So why is it allowed to go on in NY?

Draft saved Draft deleted