1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can I get a price check on the b**** in aisle two?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Care Bear, Nov 13, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you're male, I'm gonna hurl

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

THAT is a classic reference.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Most grocery stores have two kinds of self-checkouts: the one with the belt and the one with just the tiny space to scan.

To the OP: try cutting her tits off next time. Then make a milk joke.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Definitely. Out of the 6 variations of chain and family-owned stores in my area, I think there's only 1 that doesn't bag your stuff, and that's an Aldi's store that I think gives out Hepatitis A to everyone coming through the doors. They make you pay a 50-cent deposit to get a cart (you get the 50 cents back when you put the card back, but still).

There are few things in the world I an a snob about, but expecting clean grocery stores where I receive good customer service and don't have to do the job of one of their clerks, is one of them.

5. imjustagirl

Fair enough. Do you live in a smaller town? I guess when I lived in Connecticut, they bagged. In Atlanta? Not so much.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

All the stores I go to here in the DC area (Giant, Safeway, Harris Teeter, Wegmans) bag for you. At most places, if you've got more than 2 bags, they ask if you need help carrying them to your car.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

City itself is about 120K, with the metro area of around 300K. So not huge, but I don't consider that terribly small, either.

Could it be a regional thing? I've lived in the upper midwest and the lower midwest/edge of southwest my entire life, and we've always had full-service grocery stores be the rule and not the exception.

Maybe the movement to "do it yourself" is just late getting to flyover country.

8. imjustagirl

I mean, we have the full checkouts. They just don't staff enough to have baggers. And the checkout person doesn't seem all that anxious to bag. So I put all my stuff up on the belt, scan my card, then bag my stuff. The checkout person sometimes puts 1-2 things in a bag.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The grocery stores I used to go to in NYC had people to bag the groceries so I don't think it's a small town/big city thing.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Only time I ever bag my own groceries is when I'm in the self-checkout.

What sucks is the closest store to me, which is the more affordable of them I guess, doesn't do self-checkout, nor do they do express lines. I go somewhere else most of the time, but on Mondays and Tuesdays they put milk on sale. It's so hit or miss, because they only have two or three lines open and they can get backed up with carts full of groceries, while I wait with 3-4 items. After one particularly grueling wait, I grumbled that they should have an express line. And the cashier told me there used to be one, but when people started getting snippy about others taking too many items there, the manager took it down. Now we all suffer.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Or one of her ears. Whatever.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If I go to a store with self checkouts, I will instead wait in line at a register with a checker.

It drives my wife nuts. I figure if enough people did that, we might save a job or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted