1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can I get a price check on the b**** in aisle two?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Care Bear, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Question for you folks:

When going through self-checkout at the grocery store, do you wait for the person ahead of you to finish bagging their groceries before you send your items down the belt?

Earlier tonight I got into a verbal dispute with a female ogre after she sent her liter of cola flying down the belt, knocking my purchases in every direction. I muttered "excuse me" under my breath. You would have thought I threatened to cut her tits off by the way she reacted. She got in my face, wagging her finger, screaming about how it's not her fault I'm slow. This is utter bullshit, by the way, as I have my infant with me who is on the brink of losing it. I don't think I could have possibly gone any faster. (that's what she said) And she called me a bitch.

But I didn't respond at all, due to said infant. And my pansy gene. As I raced out of that store with a careening giant stroller like a drunk greyhound, I wondered if it was just me. I wouldn't send my items down the belt before the previous person had vacated the area, but that's just me.

Was she out of line in her grocery store etiquette, or should I have kept my mouth shut? Honestly, I didn't think she would hear the "excuse me" comment, but for some reason her behavior really irked me. And I don't think I've ever been involved in a dispute like that in public, so I was a little shaken.

Sorry if this rambles...

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wait, your self-checkouts have the conveyor belt?

Mine's just a one-person stand where you take it from your cart, scan and bag.

In your case, yes, I'd wait until the person was gone. Or at least until they were loading their last bag.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yeah, our self-checkouts have the conveyor belts, so you send your own stuff on down to the holding area, or whatever you want to call it. Then you bag. This is why I only use that line for purchases of less than ten items. The lady in front of me had approximately seventy items. No exaggeration. That ticked me off, too.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Yeah, the walmart here in the middle of bumfuck GA has conveyour belts.

But, honestly, if you have your infant with you, perhaps you shouldn't be using self serve?

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yeah, I see your point, ByDesign, but the lines at the regular checkout were four or five people deep. The place was a nightmare. Self-checkout was, by far, the fastest option. I only had four items.

Edit: Five items. I just remembered my last minute M&M's purchase.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You always wait. If the person in front of you is going slow and shit and appears to be in no hurry, you may make a face that lets them know you're waiting. But you always wait. Period. Until the other person says it's ok.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

CB, If I'm reading this correctly, you paid your fee, and you were bagging your purchases when the bitch behind you scanned her soda and sent it flying towards your stuff?

If that's the case, I'm putting her soda in my bag of goodies and daring her to touch it.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You shoulda had your kid projectile spit up on her

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yeah, you read my rambling correctly. I had paid and was in the process of putting my first item in a bag when the cola came flying.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Shoulda dumped a bottle of breast milk on her.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's so feast or famine where you live, in terms of the civilized people versus strung out nutjobs.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

You are so absolutely right.

Draft saved Draft deleted