1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can he be any worse?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IllMil, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Worst in what way? There are others who I think may be worst as an SE. Howard has paid his dues and knows the ins and outs of this business much better than many on this board.
    No, I'm not a champion of his. No, I don't think he should be writing the blog. But it is the way the business has moved to and he's moved along with it.
    The days when an SE could write and handle a department went out around 1973. Nowadays, an SE's job, in my opinion, is more paper work, networking, corporate schmoozing and caretaker of the playpen.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

How about being a professional in style and behavior and serving as a classy, objective face of a key newsroom department? How about taking an interest in staffers' jobs and having their backs inside and outside the building? It isn't just Howard's writing that betrays him as a lousy SE.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Or a Berman NFL Countdown lead-in ...

"Wake up Braun-y I've really got something to say to you. It's late September and we really should be back at school."

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I hope I never work with someone who has a no-edit clause.

I don't work well with divas.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Joe, I know this is a touchy subject, but can you give some examples of what you are talking about. I think you'll agree that it's easy to call someone lousy without specifics.

6. Joe Williams

Well, there was the locker room schmoozing and the Bucks jersey with his name on it and socializing with local athletes and using credentials to big events ahead of his writers even though he himself wouldn't write and asking a staff person (a part-timer, I think) for a personal loan because her husband had a good job...

Stop me, Drip, whenever I've illustrated the point.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was getting one of his photogs to photograph him standing near Tiger Woods at the PGA Championships, openly cheering in a NFL press box, the infamous high-five with a Bucks player. Don't even get me started about how he was at the Olympics several years back.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Garry is an ex jock and thinks that he can still compete. However that does not excuse him for the acts that Joe and Mizzou accuse him of, if they are true.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Leave your fandom at the alumni office. And even the cheering is poorly written. This level of paper looks like it will be in big trouble as the industry stammers forward, and having a boor in charge can't help.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm not a fan. And if what the posters have said is true, then Garry should be roasted. No doubt about it.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The loan thing??

12. Joe Williams

Multiple insiders there swear to it. Absolutely incredible situation, boss to staffer. Ignored by management there the way all his other antics have been ignored. Too bad, because some folks there are real journalists, winning a Pulitzer this year even.

Draft saved Draft deleted