1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can he be any worse?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IllMil, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Seems well within the ballpark, in this instance . . .

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm a member of APSE. For years. I can take the criticism.
    To lump a whole organization is a bit unfair. Like me wondering the last writers' organization or association that meant or stood for anything. See?

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This term was introduced on another thread and would be the obvious solution to Garry Howard, if only this business were involved in a declared war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragging

This business is in a fight for its survival, which is even worse than most wars. So there's still a chance yet! ;D

I think if you look up "Emperor's New Clothes" on wikipedia, you also find Howard's column mug shot. His entire career has been a retelling of that fable.

4. stix

stix Well-Known Member

You shoulda seen the column he wrote when the Brewers fired Ned Yost with 12 games left in the season, if it wasn't already posted on this board.

His first line was: "It was gangsta."

Just like that, with "gangsta" in italics. As if to imply the firing was like a drive-by shooting.

Why would you compare a managerial firing to a drive-by shooting in a good way? I would think drive-by shootings are generally regarded as bad, ugly things. It was like Howard was proud the Brewers did it the way they did it, because it resembled a drive-by shooting to him.

I found it very peculiar.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Garry is a good editor. No, he's not a writer. Very few around here, judging by what is written and the few that I know, have the paid the dues this guy has.
    This has nothing to do with APSE. It has to do with a paper that is crying for a voice and Howard has taken that lead. Be it good. Be it bad.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So we're back to the days of the SE being the columnist?
    And it is Garry.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Unfortunately.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunate that the move is in that direction?

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"Surge of crap" is a very apt phrase.

This thing reads like a blog from a disappointed fan.

10. silentbob

silentbob Member

I like this site for many reasons ... threads like this is the ONLY one why I hate it.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If he's not the worst big market SE, I sure as hell don't know who is.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It read like a PTI "take."

Draft saved Draft deleted