1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can he be any worse?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IllMil, Oct 4, 2008.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=802469

This column offers nothing. It looks like a blog, and a horrible one at that.

"Ryan Braun . . . If you are what you say you are, a Superstar, then have no fear, the crowd is here and the lights are on and they want a sho-o-o-o-ow. (You made Lupe Fiasco’s “Superstar” your theme song at the beginning of the season and once you hit a lull, you ditched the song. Bring it back. This evening!)"

2. [quote author=Garry D. Howard]
    You have 3,068,458 reasons to beat back the Philthy-delphia Phillies in Game 3 of this National League Divisional Series.[/quote]

no

no, he can't be any worse

Philthy-delphia phillies?

is Garry D. writing for his junior high school paper?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You know, I've never really searched out Howard's stuff. But I know people who know him, people who have worked for him in the past, and I'm not sure I could remember one positive thing being said.

I just know that was an insufferable column. Completely, horrifically, insufferable. I wonder if he has a no-edit clause like some other SEs of whom I know.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Good Lord. That was, um, awful.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Not all sports editors are good writers.
    And then there are those who should NEVER be allowed to write. NEVER! EVER!

edit: forgive my poor spelling on deadline

6. not sure what this means, but i agree!!

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm not a good writer, either. But, fuck me.
    If I strung that together, I would cut off my fingers.

8. apseloser

apseloser Member

It should be noted that this schmuck is an APSE muckety muck, along with Hoppes, R-Ramos and other embarrassments to sports journalism.

I've noticed that, as papers cut back and everyone tries to figure out ways to turn things around, there has been a surge of crap like this.

Everyone has a blog (even the ones who can't write), everyone tries to be funny (99 percent of them aren't).

God save this industry.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Hoppes has a reputation for developing talent. The other two don't.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

All I'm going to say is this is very un-Garry-like.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't kow about that, bat. I've only read what gets posted here and mostly it's been awful.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

AL, your name says it all, but is it really necessary to connect everything to your contempt for APSE?

Draft saved Draft deleted