1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can experience make up for a degree?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by COPrimeaux, Jul 19, 2010.

1. COPrimeaux

COPrimeaux New Member

Oh yeah, one thing I'm definitely good at is falling on my sword...

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

COP,

I don't think that folks are suggesting that you will get a sports writing job and decided to quit. I think they are suggesting that you might get a sports writing job and have the paper fold or be laid off.

And that has happened to a lot of people on this board alone.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Exactly. And the OP seems to think that there is some kind of nobility in not being prepared if and when that moment comes. There's not. Just wait until you have a wife and kids.

4. COPrimeaux

COPrimeaux New Member

No, I get that, Ace. I didn't mean quit from a particular job. I mean quit the industry altogether if I get laid off or something.

And Dick, you know what, if all I could get is covering Bumbledorf vs Bum-Dumb Tech, I'd still do it. It's sports. I read a thread just now about how covering Little League sucks. I've been getting Little League assignments from a small newspaper nearby recently, the Fort Bend Herald. I'll take it. I get to go watch sports and then write about it. I can't think of too much better.

Btw, I live with my fiancee. I know what you're saying. But I just want to reiterate, that I am going to back and finish. It's going to happen. Just not at this moment.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, the Fort Bend Herald. I hope you are covering my nephew's team really well. He works just as hard as the good players.

Good luck.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For the record, plenty of people get burned out on pro and college sports, as well. So my point wasn't that preps is a lesser animal or anything like that as much as it was that what seems shiny and exciting and a worthwhile life pursuit now can become more repetitive than you think.

7. COPrimeaux

COPrimeaux New Member

I've just done a few games. Different teams.

Plus it's All-Stars, so aren't they all good players?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Doesn't living with your fiance hinder you finishing your degree at Houston Baptist as well, at least until you get married?

From your posts, you love seem to love sports more than the writing part. Have you considered news? A lot more opportunity to cover news then sports. You could always go back to sports, or at least try, while getting paid to write news. How many papers have you applied to?

Unfortunately, you should have had the contacts to land a job already. If you've done all this work in a major media market, there has to be someone you worked for that's clued in on openings that aren't widely known.

9. COPrimeaux

COPrimeaux New Member

Well, the thing is that something has always built on something else.

It was my work with the tv studio that lead to the newspaper. It was the newspaper faculty adviser that knew someone at the radio station. It was because of my internship at the radio station that the Aeros picked me up. It was someone at the Aeros that told me about the stringer work with the AP.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And it could lead you to a sports writing job. Like others have stated, a degree doesn't matter to some, but it makes the world of difference to others.

The answer to your original post is maybe. Nothing more to really say.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

Finish, the degree.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. COPrimeaux

COPrimeaux New Member

Hahahahahahaha. Can't argue with that.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted