1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Dara Torres have her own thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jul 6, 2008.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I hope she's clean and I have absolutely no doubts that she's one of the fittest people in sport either way. Anyone who's tried to swim competitively knows how ridiculously taxing that shit is on the body. I want to root for her but I thought Forde's column was fair. He didn't make accusations, he didn't try to put her on the spot, he just said "I hope you understand why we're a little suspicious."

But this thread is useless without pictures...

...of Amanda Beard :)

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A little bit too Lobo-ish in the face for my tastes. ;)

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Fair enough....Natalie Coughlin?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How about we not be pigs and stick to the subject?

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Some other thoughts...

What about the spreading pelvic bones?! Here I am all caught up on the skin, and I forgot about what happens to the hips and pelvis during pregnancy and LABOR. And that shit don't "move back." I'm sorry, not in a 20-year-old, not in a world-class athlete.

Just caught a glimpse of her bicep before the 50. Looked like the bicep of Steve Lundquist.

Double Down: Did you read that she nursed? All the more amazing b/c she would've had to have stopped down on training while she was nursing for multiple reasons I won't go into.

But what about this theory? ... As we age, we have a higher percentage of body fat, right? And fat is more buoyant than, say, muscle, right? Could there be something there?

... Trying like hell to figure out a way she's clean .........

6. If she did dope and nurse, that's got to be one strong baby.

7. Moderator1

Kid'll be on a relay with her.

8. Lugs, I don't know this woman or all the facts, but I do know several active, non-Olympian women who returned their normal body size within a month or so of giving birth.

My daughter's godmother, for instance, has had three kids and looks the same, body-type-wise, as before she had kids. She works out several times a week and leads her spinning class at the Y, I believe.

If they're maintaining the same diet and conditioning after the birth as they did before the birth, there's no reason to think they can't lose the weight rather quickly.

9. Moderator1

More fuel for questions - didn't she set a record today in winning the 50?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't care if she has Winstrol on an IV drip. Go America!

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Dumbass.

Find me world-class athletes who performed better after childbirth.

I won't hold my breath.

The chauvinism is from the people who minimize the effects of childbirth on a top-of-the-world athlete in a timed sport, not from my point of view.

12. Way out of line, Simon. Flash was being sarcastic, but no one was name-calling.

Draft saved Draft deleted