1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Bonds become another Ali?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Jun 12, 2007.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

There will never be another Ali.

Period.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Coming from the world's biggest Bonds apologist, of course, it is no surprise.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Ding ding ding

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

[​IMG]

she begs to differ

5. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

What a silly question.
    Oops, am I allowed to say that as a newbie?

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You're more than allowed. Now fetch me a Bud Select (I know, I like macrobrew).

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At best Bonds can become Ted Williams in retirement. Their relationship with fans and the media track pretty closely together. In fact Bonds might be more adored by his hometown fans.

9. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Maybe if Bonds was a war hero and not a cheater.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Do steroids freeze?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The comparison between Bonds and Ali is insane. Other than both being great athletes who are black, what else is there?

Ali had tremendous charisma. He may have pissed a lot of people off, but he also had a lot more people that loved him during his career. He is an interesting guy who became more likeable in retirement.

Bonds is a self-centered asshole. I have always been a fan of his as a player, but he has gone far out of his way to be a prick his entire career and I doubt he can ever reverse all that bad PR.

12. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

Teddy Ballgame was always the most comparable figure to me. The only thing--I got the feeling that the sports media became loaded with guys that grew up loving Ted Williams (I could be wrong, though). There will not be a media ever that grew up loving Barry Bonds, so I don't know if there can be a significant image shift down the line.

Draft saved Draft deleted