1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can Barack Obama get a fair hearing from the American people?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I wonder what the numbers are for crafty left-handers...

BLOW JOB!

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If they are truly "crafty" probably very low.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And you would be correct, shottie. There will always be that small block of whites who will never cross that line to vote for a [fill in the blank] President (African-American, woman, Latino, Asian, Jewish, etc. That the fringe vote that is simply impossible to sway. Some of them can be one of the last Southern Democrats/Reagan Democrats/good ol' boy chain who'll jump tracks and vote GOP.

Who was the last prez to run the nation while lighting a Marlboro up? It had to be JFK, 'cause I seen old footage of him taking a few drags while in office.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No, not so obviously.

Incarceration of blacks increased by less than 50% (from about 525 to 750).

Incarceration of whites increased by about 50% (from about 80 to about 120).

Sounds pretty good to me. Tougher on crime, without any group being singled out.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Do you think more voters will vote for someone other than Obama because he's black than will vote for him for the same reason.
    If Obama runs, he'll get 90% of the black vote, easy. The white candidate will not get 90% of the white vote. If Hillary gets the nomination she will not get 90% of the women's vote.

Seems to me the most hard core group of racially motivated voters are African Americans.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

So are you saying that blacks are racist when they vote, given the chance to show it?

7. Boom_70

Alma that is a very important question that you ask. As I watch this campaign unfold all I can think of is the line from Sounds of Silence that goes "People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening" It perfectly describes each and every candidate so far.

What is happening now is that many have tuned out those running and view them as increasingly irrelevant to our everyday lives.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That, Boom, is what many pundits say is the precursor to a fallen society.

9. Boom_70

If that is what it is then we are well on the way.

10. doctor x

doctor x Member

Let's face it. A significant number of whites have ruled out Hillary and Obama because they have ruled out all Democrats/liberals/lefties/yourtermhere. The more interesting question is what people who can comfortably, guiltlessly rule out Hillary and Obama would do if given the choice of a woman or minority more in line with their views -- say, Condi vs. Fred Thompson.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sorry, when I get to this spot I hit the eject button. It undermines whatever the rest of your argument may be.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

abbott, it's natural that voters will pull the lever for someone who looks like them, but in certain cases, if said candidate don't act like them, talk like them, and seems different regardless of race, they are likely not to vote for him or her. The best case of this was last year's Maryland race involving Lt. Gov. Michael Steele. He should have commanded a wide majority of the black vote. He didn't. Why? He was Republican and the automatic response is that he is an "Uncle Tom." Not "might be" or "could be". Without any hard evidence, the sole reason he didn't nary a black vote was that he wasn't a Democrat.

The attitudes and behaviors of voters are an eye-opener to those who spend time researching it or harkening back to significant events that they have witnessed. The voters, directly and indirectly, dictate the results of every election. Damn, I feel like I'm back in Dr. Thomas' Political Psychology class again. That class opened my eyes to an entirely different world of politics and how to look at it.

It easy to assume that even if a sizable number of blacks don't like Barack, they'll go ahead and vote for him because of his race. That is not the case as noted with Steele.

To respond to the possibility of a hard core group of racially motivated black voters, there is a core group lurking around. Anyone who denies that is a lying rat fink. Those factions are everywhere, regardless of race. I have not seen it upclose or in person, but I wouldn't be surprised if these fringe groups attempt to resort to using dirty pool to dictate how they want the outcome to be. The Daily Kos could be considered as one of the fringe groups, but I rarely read those types of political blogs to form an opinion of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.