1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can anyone stay healthy in the NFL? Colston, Garcia, Haynesworth join club

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 10, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The NFL has turned into one of those '70s disaster movies like The Towering Inferno or The Poseidon Adventure. It's a bunch of people moving toward a finish while avoiding pitfalls along the way. Some survive, some fall by the wayside, a small group emerges at the end.

So far we've already lost Tom Brady, half of Jacksonville's offensive line, Jeff Saturday, Nate Burleson, Vince Young, and now Marques Colston. Marion Barber is pretty banged up. Jeff Garcia is very questionable for Week 2. Seattle's number-two running back, Maurice Morris, is out a couple weeks. Cleveland lost Donte Stallworth during warmups. Who knows how healthy Peyton Manning really is.

Is it just a string of bad luck? A trend the NFL must look into what with the speed and size of players? I can't remember the last time so many marquee players were this beat up just a week into the season.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

Re: Can anyone stay healthy in the NFL anymore? Colston now out 4-6 weeks

That's OK, what better time to forge ahead with an 18-game season?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Cowboys after the infamous "pickle juice" game.

Barber is practicing today. As for Peyton, he just looked very rusty from missing camp. His timing is shot. He'll get it back.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

The players are built like cartoon characters. That probably has something to do with it.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe because at least three-quarters of the linemen and linebackers are steroid freaks, and probably half the DBs as well.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Browns lose Sean Jones for several weeks due to knee surgery. 3-13 here we come!

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This injury thing in the first week happened a few years ago, and Madden had a theory: he said coaches were babying their starters so much during the preseason, giving them a series of two in exhibition games (at most a quarter) that they "weren't playing enough football." Madden said they weren't in "football shape" and once the season started and everything was going full speed, they were getting hurt.

Any thoughts?

8. Re: Can anyone stay healthy in the NFL anymore? Colston now out 4-6 weeks

Look on the bright side, TSP. The secondary can't perform any worse than it did on Sunday.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You can hit a lot in practice. I'm not buying "game speed."

I'm going with Spnited on this one.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In my fantasy league, I'm playing against someone this week who took Brady with his first pick and Colston with his third.

Of course, I took LT with the first pick and McGahee with my second so my team sucks as well.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The problem isn't too much steroids. It's not enough steroids. Seriously.

12. TheSportsPredictor

I attribute it to just a rash of bad luck coupled with the fact that the players are so big and fast, whether through steroids or other methods.

Draft saved Draft deleted