1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can anyone explain the Matrix to me?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Nov 5, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't think I watched more than a few scenes here and there.

For me, that's as close to "watching" a movie as I often get. I couldn't suspend my disbelief long enough to enjoy The Matrix.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

First one = entertaining
    Second and third = so bad as to inspire anger

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Nothing to be explained. Dudes made a great first movie, then tried to be all deep and stuff with the second and third. Entertaining to an extent, but also chock-full of pretention and the brothers showing off how many books they have the Cliff's Notes for. I enjoy them, but I never cared to analyze them beyond what I saw on the screen. They're actually pretty simple.

Zion is the last human city, and has been destroyed every few decades or so. This is because the nature of the humanity being bred for power by the machines is that humans are individuals. So inevitably, every few years they get antsy and want to be free from the Matrix. All the Ones before Neo chose the other door, where he would choose a few people to help re-breed humanity after the latest fall of Zion. Neo chose the one he did because he wanted to save Trinity, putting love above humanity (or just thinking in his arrogance that he could do it all). By doing that, he set it up so humanity would perish, but the desire of Agent Smith to control the entire Matrix led the machines to basically hire Neo to take him out and restore the order computers love to have. In return, they would let humanity live and release people from the Matrix if they wish.

Now, the stuff about HOW Smith became so powerful, and just HOW the machines used Neo to eliminate Smith (little lights sent through his body?) are up for "what the hell?!" debate.

Humanity as individuals. People fall in love. Unexplainable comouter shit happens. The end.

(I know, jerks. "Now my head hurts.")

As recent long stories go, they were much worse than the Star Wars prequels, since at least those had no aspirations to being anything more than entertainment.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Had a great philosophy class in college where we watched The Matrix one night and were to discuss it the next day. We spent about two weeks going back and forth about different aspects of philosophy tied up in that movie. One of the most memorable aspects of my college years.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That is great advice. The first one is a very good movie. The second one is confusing, and the third one is just dumb.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agree with all the above on 1-2-3. The first one is still fun to watch (with or without the pill. :D)

Second and third were highly disappointing. The rule that proves the exception about trilogies.

7. KG

KG Active Member

I can't help you, I took the red pill.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Deja vu. Deja vu.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

2 and 3 should be expunged from the record.

The Matrix was a great movie for a couple of hours' entertainment... unless of course you believe David Ike, in which case reality is somewhere between The Matrix and the miniseries V.

10. I tried to watch 2. I turned it off after 20 minutes because I didn't understand a single thing that was going on.

Felt like doing the same thing with the last two "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies.

11. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Keanu Reeves is the worst actor ever. I mean, he has no freaking talent and delivers lines like he's never read them before. I really didn't realize this until I saw "Walk in the Clouds" and was disgusted with how poor of an actor he was. I haven't given any of his crap the time of day since, and I feel good about it.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Was it love? You called her your first girlfriend. Aoparently, someone else has that title.

Draft saved Draft deleted