1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can anyone convince me that the 1970s were not the greatest decade for music?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jul 23, 2010.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Certainly was for me ... but I don't push my musical opinions on other people.
    However, I would like to respectfully add that anybody who doesn't like Chicago can kiss my ass up one side and down the other.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

"Man, I'm glad I called that guy!"

3. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I've been listening to Todd Rundgren a lot lately.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well other than Steely Dan being irrelevant the Stones & The Beatles were from the 60s not the 70s.

The greatest decade was the 60s: Beatles, Stones, Dylan, The Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Presley, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, the Mamas & The Papas, Roy Orbison, Cream, Sam & Dave, CCR, The Supremes, The Temptations, Martha & The Vandellas, Van Morrison.

Want more?

It's not even a contest.

The 70s gave us disco for fuck's sake

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No one can convince you, because enjoyment of music is subjective.

But there are three artists mentioned in the first post whom I would listen to without needing to be threatened by a weapon. So...no thanks.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Gotta go with the '70s.

Genesis got going thanks to that fourth percussionist.
    Rush got going thanks to its second percussionist.
    Chicago was a nifty bunch producing original stuff.
    Stevie Wonder and EWF? Self-explanatory.
    Marvin Gaye and "What's Going On."
    James Taylor was probably at his best.
    Elton John was at a two-albums-per-year pace for much of the decade.
    Billy Joel was getting going.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what your reference to weapons has to do with music but I'm sure you'll let me know.

In my opinion, The Beatles, Elvis, Dylan and The Stones are the most significant pop musicians of the last 50 years. You can add Buddy Holly to that list but he died a year before the 60's.

You can also add Frank Zappa, Van Morrison, King Crimson, Eric Burdon, Alice Cooper, The Byrds and The Kinks to my original list from the 60s

The 70s was a great decade for music but it pales in comparison to the creative outburst of the 60s

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would opt for the 1960s also, but the 1970s had a lot of great stuff, too.

--Springsteen's best stuff.
    --Punk and New Wave (Clash, the Police, Blondie, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, etc.)
    --Lots of great arena rock (Aerosmith's best, Boston, Van Halen's best, etc.)
    --Even the "kiddie" rock was rockin' (when you put up Styx, REO and Kansas up against N'Sync, the bubble-gum rappers of the 1980s, New Kids)
    --Southern-fried rock's heyday.
    --No way was Steely Dan inconsequential (Gaucho doesn't erase a lot of darn good stuff before that).
    --And prancing hadn't occurred yet.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Greatest non-sequitor ever.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

BYH will be along shortly to back me up on the 80s and Night Ranger. :D

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was trying to remember why I remembered that name before we got to the payoff.

Draft saved Draft deleted