1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Jedi lightsaber cut through Superman?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by andyouare?, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Flashing my nerd card at the door....

In the last big DC crossover event, "Infinite Crisis," two different Supermen from alternate realities flew through a red sun simultaneously (one had gone nuts, killed a number of superheroes, and the other carried him through the star in an attempt to stop the former). They both lived through the trauma, but one died shortly after. So, plasma of the right kind could do some damage.
    Of course, to use a lightsaber the Jedi would have to get within arm's reach of Superman. And Superman ain't gonna let that happen. He'd hear the guy coming a mile away.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hate it when Superman goes bad.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Obe-Won Kenobi was a deft at sneaking around.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It was Mallrats, to which OOP eluded a couple posts above this one. This also reminded me of a line from an early episode of Seinfeld, The Stock Tip:

George: I never heard him say anything really funny.
    Jerry: But it's common sense. He's got super strength, super speed ... I'm sure he's got super humor.
    George: You would think that, but either you're born with a sense of humor or you're not. It's not going to change even if you go from the red sun of Krypton all the way to the yellow sun of the Earth.
    Jerry: Why? Why would that one area of his mind not be affected by the yellow sun of Earth?
    George: I don't know, but he ain't funny.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The red sun didn't kill the Superman that died (which I think was the Pre-Crisis one Ace asked about). It weakened him enough that Superman Prime (don't ask) could beat him to death. I don't know all the backstories, but I read the miniseries. Great stuff if you like that sort of thing.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Been a while since I read it, so I might be wrong. I'll defer to you, sir. Either way, the energy from the star did weaken him. So, concentrated into a lightsaber, it's conceivable that the same kind of energy could do the same. The radiation from the blade weakens Superman, and the concentrated power of the lightsaber cuts him.
    Like I said, though, the Jedi would have to get close enough to do it before Superman cuts HIM in half with his heat vision.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

This guy would like to join the coversation:
    [​IMG]

As for me, I'm in way over my head and I'll kindly step out of this thread.

8. My favorite part will be when the lightsaber doesn't cut Superman so the Jedi throws it at him.
    Crooks who ran out of bullets always did that.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

And Superman will duck out of the way.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I loved that part in the old black and white TV show.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If the original idea of the Jedi having a mystical power, then Superman, who is vulnerable to magic, could be harmed by a lightsaber.
    But now that the force is extra cells, then I wouldn't think so.
    Lord, am I a nerd.

12. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Does this thread require you to wear a pocket protector, taped-up coke-bottle glasses and pants above your navel? Sheesh. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted