1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a D-I football game end in a tie?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 14, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So in my football pool I'd like to pick Notre Dame-Michigan to end in a tie. Both teams suck so hard neither deserves to win, but it occured to me that with the overtime rules, can a game even end in a tie?
    I know that at the third OT, you have to go for two-points if you score a touchdown, but what if neither team scores, would they call it at the end of the third OT, or would they keep playing until someone scored?
    Is it different for non-conference games?
    Does anyone know ...

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It can't end in a tie.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No NCAA or NAIA game at any level can end in the tie. All levels use the same overtime rules.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Double forfeit, if both teams are ultimately found guilty of NCAA violations?

If the winner is stripped of the victory but the loser is also put on probation? Hey, Oklahoma probably played somebody else last year who was cheating.

5. Nope, unfortunately one team has to win. I can still hope for 19 turnovers, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted