1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a blog get me a job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by young-gun11, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Young gun got mentioned on another blog.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/um/2011/11/26/a-sloppy-end-mississippi-state-31-ole-miss-3/

I'm beginning to think he wasn't let go from his previous three jobs due to no fault of his own.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Griese's so green, they make him do dreck like Tennessee-Vandy on the SEC independent network.

But actually, he's not too bad.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I say this to help, not to demean. If you want to be a sports writer -- or, at least, a good one who makes a career of writing on national issues -- you will need to do more than write about sports. You need to have a lot of knowledge about a lot of things.
    Business (to talk about contracts and labor situations).
    Medicine (to write about injuries).
    Politics (to discuss stadium and some NCAA issues).
    History (to understand certain rivalries and the culture of sports).
    Photography (you'll often have to shoot your own pictures).

In sports, you never "just write about sports." It's a big part of the reason sports writers are often the most versatile people in the newsroom and can cover just about anything, but news reporters are Hindenberg-level disasters when they step into a press box.

Draft saved Draft deleted