1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a blog get me a job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by young-gun11, Nov 22, 2011.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I've been in the business (news-side) for about a year. Three different rags*, but each a step forward. However, I was not retained during consolidation by my latest job.

I have always wanted to be in the sports world. It isn't that I don't enjoy news. I just don't find writing it very interesting. Especially at rural county publications.

My question is would starting (and maintaining) a blog be helpful in finding a place to call home in the sports industry. I've been writing extensively for that "website" which shall not be named (B/R) in hopes of using the material for clips.

However, would it be more helpful to keep a blog going about a specific team or sport, showing how I am able to cover a "beat"?

If not, what would you guys suggest?

* - First place shut down within the first month I was there. Left a tri-weekly for a job in my hometown after 6 months. (This is to clarify I'm not a job-hopper)

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure it would help if you do a good job.

But you know that.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Blogging could help, but do you want to put in time doing the reporting necessary to make it worthy enough to use as clips? Since you've worked in Podunk, what expectations do you have of finding something bigger? You have to have realistic goals, and a blog might not impress a rural editor.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

No, but a job can get you a blog.

5. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

It can't hurt. You would be better off trying to get some sports writing experience as a freelancer.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What Johnny said. One or two or three great clips will go just as far and probably farther than a blog, and there's little stigma to them being freelance. When you apply for jobs you're usually only sending in a few clips anyway -- no hiring editor wants to read your blog, no matter how good it is. And that's not "beat" reporting, either.

7. nck228

nck228 Member

This. At the very least, a blog is an OK way to show off your voice, since you won't be doing any original reporting.

But I think that going out and covering games is the best way to get your foot in the door. Talk to the sports editor at your current place and see if there are any high school games you can cover on one of your news-side days off.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The OP seems to have plenty of days off now.

9. nck228

nck228 Member

*facepalm* Well damn. Clearly I need to learn how to read.

Still, reach out to the sports editor anyway to see about freelancing opportunities. You need to go out and cover stuff in order to build up your clips.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

this

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Not only the sports editor at the most recent place, but I would get in touch with the SE at papers the next county over.

12. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Just to clarify, I was a stringer for 6 years after HS. I have had a column about the Braves at one place. I was SE at my college rag.

I don't "need" any clips, but if I'm covering these teams with the ability to attend press conferences and talk to coaches and players (which I am due to relationships previously obtained) it would help, yes?

Draft saved Draft deleted