1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cameron Todd Willingham Part 2?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 19, 2011.

1. To me skin color, gender, IQ none of that matters. Only the question of innocence and degree of guilt (it's different if you shot your wife-beating spouse as opposed to Ted Bundy or the guy who murders his family).
    If a jury and it's system finds you guilty and sentences you to die it works for me.
    It's not bloodlust. It's allowing the system to run its course. But that doesn't happen.
    When you get a death sentence you will spend 10, 20, 30 years on death row as your appeals play out. The system is being circumvented by extension. Cheated. Convicted killers are allowed - and given - free reign to spin themselves and their horrific acts into a sympathy. It's not fair to victims or their families.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Except, in practice, it does.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You have much, much, much more faith in juries than I do.

4. Dick Whitman

I'd be curious to know Evil's thoughts on the McDonald's hot coffee case.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That was a much longer answer, but it still didn't answer the question.

Would you be OK with only executing black killers, as long as it meant that some killers were still executed?

(I'm also confused by your "degree of guilt" argument, which seems to counter your "kill the killers because they're killers!" argument.)

6. I don't recommend scrapping it Dick. I believe in it. All of it.
    You guys are the ones who want to scrap it ... arguing against the will of the system, in spite denied appeal, after denied appeal, after denied appeal.

And Deskslave, I can't argue the racist nature of things. It's not the justice system it's the people involved.
    Slightly off topic here: There is NO way NO way Plax Burress (if he's white) does two years in jail for shotting himself in the leg.
    Again, black, white don't matter to me. Killer or no. That's the question IMO.

Do you think Wayne Williams (The Atlanta Child murderer) is innocent? Does it have anything to do race?
    To me, he should be executed, just as Davis. Not because they are black, but because they are killers.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the error rate is just too high, even - or especially - in capital cases.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0908211.html

8. No. I don't. But I do have faith in prosecutors and judges who seek the death penalty. And the appeals courts.

9. Dick Whitman

But, within the same states, black killers are being punished differently than white killers. The "people involved" are inseparable from the system. You can't say the system is fine if the people running it are incapable of running it fairly. I cannot accept the inconsistency of application and the chance that an innocent person is executed, even conceding in the abstract that the death penalty is a just punishment. The system doesn't run in a vacuum.

10. Dick Whitman

They did a bang-up job in the Willingham case.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What makes them different? They are people too, prone to all the same biases that juries are.

12. Dick Whitman

It is a perfectly reasonable position to believe in the death penalty in the abstract but also that fallible human beings are incapable of applying it in a satisfactory fashion.

Draft saved Draft deleted