1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Camera-shy subjects?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 18, 2008.

1. How do you guys handle it when you're doing a feature on somebody, but they do NOT want a photo taken? It's happened to me more than once. It can be quite frustrating.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fuck 'em. write another story about someone who doesn't mind.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cold, yet accurate....

4. OK, I'm not talking Prep of the Week here. And I don't look at features as rewards to be dispensed to gleeful, appreciative subjects.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I've come across this over the years and I wish I could tell you exactly what I do to get the picture.

But I always manage to talk them into letting me take their picture.

6. No action shots available of the subject?

7. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

I've never had that problem as far as covering high school sports is concerned. Even the shyest interview subjects would consent to having their picture taken.

8. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

I had a local guy who was being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame - couldn't have been more cooperative leading up to the big weekend. I spent time with him and his family at his house, long interview with him & his wife, follow-up phone calls for the usual crap I forgot to ask, the works. But he politely declined to have his picture taken and wouldn't budge. It's easy to say "fuck 'em, write a story about somebody who doesn't mind," but in this case, we worked around it with file art an an illustration.

The "fuck 'em" mentality isn't always the best one.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Upper deck them.

10. Yeah, not that kind of subject.

11. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Stalk them and take a picture of them picking their nose while at a red light. ;D

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

At one paper, I wrote a story on a poke player who made it to some pretty high stakes, televised tournaments. He wanted no photo taken. So my SE stole one off the interwebs.

Draft saved Draft deleted