1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Camera equipment question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jeffersonfranklin, Mar 17, 2011.

1. I work at a small daily newspaper and we're a one man shop in sports. Our big lens was broken last year by the action coming a little too close to it. We have a Nikon D100 and have been given $500 to purchase a new big lens to do football, baseball, softball, soccer, etc. What would give me the best bang for our buck? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

For that price, my offhand suggestion would be a used Nikon 80-200/2.8 since I would imagine you could get one in that price range. It may be a bit scuffed but those things are tough as tanks.
    Also, I would suggest a used D1H body. I have a D70 (roughly equal to the D100) and D1H, much prefer the speed, size and toughness of the D1H. You can get them dirt cheap these days. My last one was about $100 last fall, works like a champ.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

With camera equipment, always always always buy used.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Any suggestions for good sites for used camera equipment? I need to upgrade my current point-and-shoot options but don't want to deal with the Internet Flea Market that is Craigslist or eBay.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I wouldn't think 200 would be enough to shoot sports effectively.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

A 200mm lens will be fine for sports action.

bhphotovideo.com and Huntsphotoandvideo.com have great 'used' options.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can shoot football with a 200. Baseball as well if you can get situated by the dugout.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

How's this for $110? Don't know the maker (and I have Canon lenses besides). The price too good to be true?

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Buy a teleconverter for outdoor sports. It'll turn your 200 into a 300, though with a reduction in your biggest available aperture. Still cheaper than buying a 300 instead.

10. GregAXZM

GregAXZM New Member

Bingo.....

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Thanks, folks. I am still learning about this, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted