1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Camden (ME) Herald Sports Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mayfly, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Are you a sports journalist looking to work in a fast-paced environment on the coast of Maine?

The Camden Herald is looking for a sports reporter to join its award-winning staff to cover sporting events in the towns of Camden, Rockport, Hope, Appleton and Lincolnville.

Among the many sports you will cover are football, soccer, field hockey, cross country, mountain biking, basketball, wrestling, tennis, lacrosse, swimming, baseball, softball, track and field. Feature writing and photography are also part of the job requirement. The successful candidate will also be used to cover general assignment reporting.

This is a full-time position. Benefits include medical, dental, life and disability insurance, and 401(k).

Experience is preferred, but we are willing to train the right individual. Please send resume and cover letter to:

Courier Publications

Sports Director Joseph Cyr
    P.O. Box 249
    Rockland, ME 04841

or by fax: (207) 596-6981 or email: jcyr@courierpub.com

PM me and I can tell you about the area. Pay is not bad compared to many outfits.

2. bkrichmond

bkrichmond New Member

Fast-paced might not be the best description for most of Maine.....isn't it called Vacationland??

3. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

you registered for the site just to post that? ;D

4. Ahhh, you're underestimating mid-coastal Maine!

This job does involve lobstering, no?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've been to Camden before. I know nothing about the newspaper, but the town is gorgeous. Eating at The Waterfront is a great experience, watching boats sail in and out on a sunny day. State park is nearby for hiking, too.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Acadia National Park is only about 30 minutes away and its a great place if you enjoy running and biking. As Oz said, there are some great mountains for you to hike. The paper is a good starting point to move yourself forward. Let me know in a PM if you are interested.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How far is Camden from Portland?

I mean, I know it's only 20 minutes to Tahoe (gotta give some extra time to account for time-zone changes), but still ...

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Camden is about 2 hours from Portland.

9. Joe Cyr

Joe Cyr New Member

Gentlemen and ladies, keep in mind this is an entry-level position with the successful candidate responsible for both writing and photography. Primary coverage is high school level and below. You can see the company's website at www.mainecoastnow.com to get an idea of the stuff we cover.
    Thanks

10. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Been to and through Camden many times. Beautiful spot on Earth. Rockland, Searsport, Belfast, Wiscasset, that whole stretch is just great. Some of you oldsters on the board may remember this, but Camden was the site where the movie "Peyton Place" (which later became a TV show) was filmed.

11. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Worked for Courier in a past life. You could do far worse. Camden Hills HS has a great wrestling program. Its boys basketball teams are usually very good. Samoset golf resort is awesome. Beautiful country. Only downside - winters last 8 months.

Draft saved Draft deleted