1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton thinks female reporter talking routes is 'funny'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 4, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My impression is people of color might not see it that way. They'd see a pretty white girl who has gotten every break getting another one, as other white people go to great pains to vouch that she's a totally-with-it sister.

We'll check back when the Panthers encounter a situation similar to the one in Kansas City this week when Terrelle Pryor says a fan dropped the N-word on him. Should be totally fine for the Observer when Rodrigue writes that story, because we all know she's woke, right?

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Kellerman tried to say Rodriguez wasn't being racist because she used it with an 'a' at the end. Stephen A told him what she did was not acceptable.
    I've heard younger white kids saying it to each other. They must think they sound cool.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Has she gained or lost followers?

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I agree that players will likely feel differently about her now. We see it similarly there. My point was how it should be framed in a news story about it, and raise it as discussion not because I feel strongly.

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I'm appalled when I hear students at my high school alma mater, mainly black ones, use that word.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is a serious topic and I don't mean to be dense. But I really took it as she thought her dad was being hilarious on the drive. The context I got from it was a fireable offense. Now if I'm wrong, my bad. I thought her tweets were very very bad. And she should be suspended several months (just cause of the PC world we live in).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm wondering if there's a legal reason. Aside from on Twitter, how much MSM has openly called Trump racist? Maybe the lawyers dont allow it.

It's just unreal how this story has grown and changed directions.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Really, I read it the way you did. But I've got to admit, DD made me think with that twist on it.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's interesting how a lot of people are commenting about the reporter's age, as being young with a NFL beat proves she is quite accomplished. I have nothing against her. She is probably outstanding reporter, but as far as the age issue, this is a trend, folks. Guess what young means?? Low low salary. Let's not forget we've forced out 85 percent of the old folk reporters.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I would never take a pro baseball beat. Absofuckinglutely not. I don't mind being on the road, for a bit. I kinda like being away, for a bit. On the road constantly? No thanks.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted