1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton thinks female reporter talking routes is 'funny'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

She'll end up being a better beat writer for this happening.

Players are not generally your friends. Neither are coaches. What's more, today, the financial gap is so large they do not desire you as friends. Some of the very top people in the sportsworting profession, of course, behave otherwise, generally to their personal benefit and to the detriment of the overall business. This has, over many years, trickled down through the ranks.

Many young journalists - I know some - have a fan's swagger to their approach; they've been trained, through social media, to lionize the PR bullshit that surrounds imperious, self-serving athletes. The question to Newton, while fine, was essentially: How do you think Devin Funchess is playing? By brightening it up with "praise prompts" the writer was essentially inviting Newton into a 1 minute PR session. Cam, so disdainful of the Press and so insecure about it he doesn't realize the press loves him 98% of the time, chose to reveal his true self.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She's 25. Plenty of time to make your mark and move on to higher-paying gigs. The exposure an NFL writer gets can go a long way toward achieving this.

And X salary at age 25 is not the same as X salary at age 50 with a wife and three kids.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Prestige?

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

???
    I went to school for seven years and never made more than 40K in any single job. I knew going in what jobs in my field paid.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Obviously educated people choosing a profession that pays as low as that does not make sense to me. To go to school for 4 plus years I think the payoff at the end should be a hell of a lot more. To each their own.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Because of this.

I've thought about this a lot. Even knowing what I know, I'd still do it in my 20s. I'd just have a well-thought-out plan for when to get out and some real mileposts (i.e. "if I'm not making X amount or at X level of the industry by age 29, I'm out"). OK who am I kidding, I wouldn't do that if I were in my 20s. But if I had my 45-year-old's sense of the world and applied it to a decision in my 20s, that's what I'd do.

But really ... $40-50K to live in a big city, write about sports and accumulate enough hotel points and air miles to travel like a 1 percenter in the off-season? Yeah I'd do that, and I'd advise a passionate young person to do that, even if it didn't mean much in terms of building a financial future.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Thanks, dad :)
    Seriously, that's close to exactly what he said.

Then again, I only paid about $4K for my entire post-secondary education, and the only other job options for me without a degree and advanced degree were manual labor and retail.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm here for you son.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

How's the old joke go? It's like being married to a nymphomaniac ... the first couple of weeks are fun.

And I'm like you. It was fun ... until it wasn't. Once it got not fun, it was time to move on.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

80 percent of majors do not make sense, we know this. Also, law school, which can go either way.

11. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I did this in my 20s, more based on location than money. I didn't want to be a 45-year-old sports editor grinding out nights in some outpost. Folks do it, but it wasn't for me. I came a few months from quitting, saying I don't want to hit this age living in this town, working night. Then a solid job in a bigger town opened up. I'm not settled long-term (who is?), but I'm at a decent spot with better hours for now.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I see this all the time in manufacturing jobs. Nobody dreams of doing that when they're 7. Monotonous, boring work in hot conditions as your brain cells die on hearing Boston and The Eagles in a factory.

Those workers can't wait to retire. The highlight of their day is flirting with the gas station clerk as they pick up a pack of Pall Malls and two scratch off tickets. To buy more Pall Malls.

Always remember this. Those of us who have written about sports have had a blessed life for the most part.

Draft saved Draft deleted