1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton or Michael Vick?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 27, 2011.

?

Who would you draft?

1. Cam Newton

33.3%
  2. Michael Vick

66.7%
  1. Somebody is reporting the 'Skins are looking to move to No. 2 to draft Gabbert.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That sounds like a Snyder move, not a Shanahan move.

3. The longer Shanahan is distanced from Elway the less and less I like him as a coach.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And last season has clouded your brain. You're forgetting just how erratic he was throwing the ball at Virginia Tech.

NFL teams were more sold on Vick then than they seem to be on Newton now, but the gap is not nearly what you are making it out to be.

5. Mizzougrad96

Agreed. His inability to win without Elway will probably keep him out of Canton.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

cannot believe this is a serious question. VICK by a WIDE MARGIN (again, strictly based on their college experience). newton may well turn out to be as fantastic as many fanboys claim off his one season but vick was miles -- MILES -- ahead of cam in terms of their development coming out of college.

and even he was quite raw in terms of being nfl-ready. compared to newton, though, he was a polished product. man, how i continue to be amazed at how many folks are buying into this cam newton machine.

geez, why stop here? question: john elway or cam newton? god or cam newton? hey, fans of DA BEARS: cam newton or DITKA?

7. Mizzougrad96

Another voice of reason from someone who covered the NFL.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shocky, it's the extra six inches and 50 pounds that is very tough to ignore.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

no, it really isn't.

the question wasn't, 'if they both were to hit their ceiling which one would you pick?'

it was 'coming out of college which would you pick?'

my mind, as often happens here, be boggled. heck, there are many 'round here who prefer gabbert to newton... now he's a superior prospect to michael vick? oh, my....

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Don't pro teams draft players for how good they could be and not how good they are?

11. Mizzougrad96

People have very selective memories when it comes to Vick.

I think you might have to go back to the 1980s to when the No. 1 pick was such a slam dunk.

12. Mizzougrad96

Then you'd favor JaMarcus Russell over Joe Montana?

Draft saved Draft deleted