1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton going pro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 13, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So says several sources like Schad, al.com and nbcsports....
  2. mb

mb Active Member

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. Hence the use of that particular verb in the subject line.
  4. John

John Well-Known Member

For a guy who spent at most 12 months as an Auburn student, he sure left his mark on the Plains.
  5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And I'll bet not much of his mark was the actual student part....
    Only college athlete I've seen with that same smarmy, "I know more than you" smug nuts smirk was Chris Webber. And that didn't turn out so well for anyone.
  6. John

John Well-Known Member

True. I think Newton is either as genuine as he appears or a tremendous actor. I'm leaning toward the latter.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Auburn got their money's worth and Pimp Daddy Cecil got his.

It's straight cash, Cammy.
  8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Especially because of the actions of him and his handler. Daddy showing up at the ball game was the last fuck-you to the SEC and NCAA...
    He pissed the wrong people off with that one; if he stayed, the two would be crawling up his ass to find improprieties before next season. Now, they can take their time.
  9. mb

mb Active Member

Maybe too subtle. Meant that he's been a professional (as in getting paid) for about six months now.
  10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The irony is that with the lockout, he might cost himself money next year, unless the Auburn contract was front-loaded.
  11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Active Member

Auburn made the best investment in sports history = +/- $200K for a Heisman and a national championship?

Newton's second-year paycheck will be a bit better, but the expectations will also be there as well. :)

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Active Member

I think he will be very much like Vince Young. A big guy with a good arm and some mobility that he was able to exploit in college for a big payday. NFL defenses will be able to catch up with him and he better learn his offensive scheme.

Where does he go in the draft? late first round? (A bit high for my liking, but if Jesus Tebow can go in the 1st rd. miracles are possible)
Draft saved Draft deleted