1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Cameron's head rolls off the chopping block.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 3, 2008.

1. azzurri

azzurri New Member

I always thought Parcells would come back to the Giants. And so did Dave Anderson of the New York Times. Here is an excerpt from a column he wrote in 1997:

Four years ago, when the Giants were looking to replace Ray Handley, Young ignored Parcells, who joined the Patriots, and settled for Dan Reeves after being spurned by his first two choices. Tom Coughlin stayed at Boston College (before joining the Jacksonville Jaguars a year later) and Dave Wannstedt took the Bears job.

Before joining the Patriots on Jan. 21, 1993, Parcells was apparently hoping to return to the Giants. ''Four years ago,'' Tisch recalled yesterday, ''Bill called me and told me, 'George and I can work together.' ''

George Young, however, didn't want Bill Parcells then and this time he didn't want the coach who, if the Giants job were there for him, would come home in a Jersey minute. [/quote][/quote]

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

TONY SPARANO is the leader in the clubhouse. it'll be a huge upset if parcells/ireland don't make him their coach.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Never understood why Cam Cameron was seen in such high NFL regard. He had the ultimate slash QB in a very slow league (Randle-El in the Big Ten), played a weak non-con schedule every year and still couldn't win six games. Guy had to go.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"We are writing to express our grave concerns and disappointment over the firing of Ray Rhodes Cam Cameron .... Despite what could be considered a mediocre season by some, it would appear premature to dismiss Ray Cam one year into a four-year contract. Any new coach deserves a chance to implement his system, which is presumably the reason they are hired. The question therefore begs - Was Ray RhodesCam Cameron, an African Euro-American, held to a different standard? .... We deem this matter to be extremely serious and hope you will respond in that same vein, but we certainly would like to hear an explanation of why Ray Cam was terminated so quickly. It is just too important to be ignored. We look forward to discussing this matter at your convenience. . . .

Thank you in advance for your prompt response.

Sincerely,

Reverend Jesse L. Jackson, Sr., President and Founder

Charles S. Farrell Director,

Rainbow Sports

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It'll be some FOP (friend of Parcells).

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Records after 1 year were just a little bit different wouldn't you say

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

OK... put in Dave Wannstedt for Cameron.

His record was better than Rhodes'.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That would be the SIX drafts between 1998-2003. Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor before then; no other picks on the current roster before Carey, Hadnot, and Pope from 2004.

9. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

He definitely didn't play a weak non-conference schedule. I just looked it up. His last year at Indiana they were 4-4 in the Big Ten. In the non-conference they lost at N.C. State, lost by two to Utah (who beat USC in a bowl game that year) and beat Kentucky. Mallory was the IU coach that was smart and would schedule three cream puff victories in the non-conference, go 3-5 in the Big Ten (just like this year), and go to a bowl. Cameron should have scheduled more cream puffs.

In 2000 IU lost to N.C. State, 41-38, lost at Kentucky, 41-34, and beat Cincinnati, 42-6.

In his five season at IU they played three non-conference games against non-BCS opponents, all three out of the MAC. The first game of his career at IU they lost 23-6 to No. 4 North Carolina.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yeremiah Bell, but that crack in the foundation, combined with the QB-acquisition hijinks (which has raided those picks from the POST-2003 draft cupboard) has definitely been the Belushi speedball for the Phins.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

As a Phins fan from the mid 70s, I was spoiled by Shula, only 2 losing seasons in 26 years.
    Now, I'd be thrilled with 6-10 next year.
    This team needs a complete front office overhaul.
    There's been a lot of bad karma (I call it the curse of Joe Robbie. Since Wayne changed the stadium's name, the Phins haven't sniffed at least the AFC title game.)
    I feel for Cameron and Mueller because on paper, they had a solid plan, trade for a solid veteran QB, draft a young QB and speed WR and overhaul the OL.
    They figured the defense would remain strong especially with Porter.
    The injuries to the secondary and the weak defensive line hurt them at the start, then when the offense was showing signs of life, Brown and Green are done for the year.
    It just snowballed from there.
    Off the field, I don't think Cameron ever had his team's confidence.
    Parcells made the right moves, now we'll see if he's smart as he thinks he is since this team will have a rookie GM and probably a rookie head coach.
    If Parcells wins a SB in Miami, I will drive to his house in Saratoga and kiss his ass.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

C'mon do your research. NC State was average that season. Utah might have beaten USC in a bowl, but USC was still basically a junk program at that point, just emerging from its late 90s nadir, and IU lost to Utah in Bloomington.

Kentucky? KENTUCKY? They were God awful back then. Their best weapon was Jared Lorenzen threatening to eat someone.

Schedules are made years in advance. I don't think anyone, at any stage, puts together Kentucky, Utah and NC State and thinks they're running a gauntlet.

I covered that '01 IU team ... they were not that good save Randle El, who was electrifying.

Draft saved Draft deleted