1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Cameron's head rolls off the chopping block.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 3, 2008.

1. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

He struggled at IU but his last team there was the best IU team in the last 15 years (not that that's saying much), including this year's bowl team.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You don't really get it.

He made a half-dozen basic, basic game-management errors that would be unacceptable at the high-school level.

He had to go.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If they toss Beck, as may be the case, it will have been 3 2nd-rounders and a fifth for QBs who started barely a half-season's worth of games.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes - heard that also.

5. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

I agree that he made some simple game management mistakes. His margin for error was also zilch which magnified every decision. I also understand that he probably had to go because of the Parcells addition, although I love the revisionist history on Parcells' drafts, which have been nothing more than mediocre.

That begs another topic that I've been thinking about quite a bit. Many NFL coaches make a lot of game management decisions that have people saying "WTF?" I think most NFL head coaches miss the big picture because they are so focused on little things. I'd bet that most of the people on this board have watched more football games from start to finish than most of the current NFL coaches because they are so busy watching film of specific plays and not game-management situations. They are so focused on if the wideout has a 7-yard or 8-yard split that most do a poor job figuring out how to manage a 2:00 minute drill without taking silly timeouts or spikes.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Which was his biggest beef at Indiana. Game management was awful, and his teams managed to invent ways to lose games ... which is why he had Antwaan Randle El and an offense that could score 30+ ppg for four years, yet never did better than 5-6 with them.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My guess is the next coach of the Dolphins will be Parcells himself.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Bingo. Why would a guy who was a mediocre coach at best in college and a guy whose offense blew it last year in the playoffs suddenly become a good candidate as a head coach for an NFL team? I don't understand these hirings most of the time to be honest and then am never really surprised when guys are fired as few years later.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

What?!
    Now that would be a surprise.

10. Well, he did grow up in the Haute. ;D

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Tony Sparano.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You mean Terre Haute? The town that has THE Tribune-Star?

Draft saved Draft deleted