1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam and "adversity"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Jan 11, 2011.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Several times in the Auburn-Oregon telecast, it was mentioned how Cam Newton had overcome adversity.

Will someone, with a straight face, please explain to me what "adversity" Cam Newton has had to overcome to get to where he is?

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

With gas prices so high, $180,000 doesn't go as far as it used to. ???

3. He had to live in Brenham, Texas for six months.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Thought the same thing. Like when the "comeback player of the year" needed to overcome nothing more than his own poor decisions in the past. ESPN opened its piano-backed Cam feature this morning with the adversity lead-in, throwing in "scrutiny" and "controversy" but nothing that he actually was accountable for.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Did they happen to mention whatever it was he stole at Florida, a laptop or something like that? That sort of adversity.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He had to live in Gainesville and he couldn't even afford to buy jean shorts.

7. Jake_Taylor

I heard people talk the entire second half of the season about how incredible it was that he was able to block it all out and perform. How he must have amazing focus.

Yeah, or maybe he has no conscience. Maybe he doesn't give a shit if he did anything wrong. He's lived like a king in Auburn and will soon go on to NFL riches. If and when anything comes of it all, he'll be able to go home to his mansion and cry then.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

He had to overcome the glare of Oregon's socks.

9. Mizzougrad96

The no conscience thing crossed my mind. If I was a NFL GM I'd want nothing to do with this kid.

10. Jake_Taylor

Well, I wouldn't go that far. :)

11. Mizzougrad96

I should have said a NFL GM with a top 10 pick.

12. mb

mb Active Member

Cam's "adversity" ranks right up there with Ed Reed's family "tragedy."

Draft saved Draft deleted