1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calvin & Hobbes creator speaks!!! (Sorta)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Feb 1, 2010.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Get the name of our school right - it's the Midvale School for the Gifted.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

[​IMG]

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

One of my all-time favorites.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still have an Opus stuffed animal that I got in junior high or high school.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This was my favorite Far Side.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Anything for a dead deer, eh, Wisconsin? :D

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Perry Bible Fellowship, imo a worthy successor to Far Side:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

FWIW, Larson has repeatedly requested that his work stay offline, and wrote an open letter published by his syndicate about it: http://www.creators.com/a-note-from-gary-larson.html

In one of his anthologies / collections, Watterson wrote there he was under intense pressure to license Calvin and Hobbes for products almost immediately, but he fought against it. That's probably not the sole reason that the comic stayed excellent throughout its run, but Watterson having that mindset of not cheapening his artwork with reproductions probably helped. Nowadays, I wonder if creators are even given the option.

Pearls Before Swine kind of channels Calvin and Hobbes at times, as well as Peanuts, but it's much more meta than both. I really enjoy it, and its the only comic I still keep up with, but it does require a good knowledge of what else is on the funnies page to be comprehended at times. (Especially Family Circus and Cathy.)

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like Get Fuzzy, too.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The internet is getting a little too smart for its own good. eBay just used that picture as a Facebook ad on my wall.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

There's a middling-to-pretty good Calvin and Hobbes documentary called "Dear Mr. Watterson" on Netflix streaming right now. Obviously, no appearance from Watterson, but it does place the strip in the context of what came before it and after it.

It was one of those rare things in life that balanced cynicism and wonder. Our art usually does one or the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted