1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calvin & Hobbes creator speaks!!! (Sorta)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Feb 1, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Exactly what I thought.

Now THAT'S brilliant!!! :D :D

2. While I also wish the question had been asked, what Waterson is doing now doesn't appear to be the point of the Q&A. It was a sidebar to the main story looking at C&H's appeal 15 years later. The article also explains that those stickers are bootlegs, so Waterson isn't seeing a dime of that. He missed out on a lot of money when he refused to go the merchandise route with the comic.

http://www.cleveland.com/living/index.ssf/2010/02/fans_still_pine_for_calvin_and.html

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1. Me, too. Can the Thomas Pynchon interview be far behind?

2. None, I'm pretty sure. But he doesn't seem to have any interest in quashing their production/distribution, either.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He hated that stuff with a passion, according to his book. He actually hated the licensed merchandise too, and fought his syndicator tooth-and-nail over it.

He also hated his syndicator, the newspapers his strips ran in, and the fact that he had to write the strip on a daily basis.

5. Actually, Salinger was checking out. <begin groans here>

6. tmr

tmr Member

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm guessing, however, he tolerated the large checks that rolled in every month and allowed him to live this reclusive lifestyle in comfort.

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

2. I'm thinking none as well.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side, Fox Trot ... was the early to mid-90s the golden age of the comic strip? Whenever I go to the morgue to look something up from that period, I inevitably spend an extra 10 or 15 minutes reading the comics and still laughing every time.
    Doesn't seem like there have been that many truly outstanding strips, at any one time, before or since.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Poor fucking guy. We should all hate our jobs that much.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We're in the golden age of comics right now. They just don't need newspapers anymore. Webcomics offer a whole new world. There's a lot of garbage, but there's also a ton of gold.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

From the Q&A -- ouch!

Draft saved Draft deleted