1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling when ad says "no calls please"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ogre, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Dynamite responses...And bloggers on this website wonder why journalism is dieing. Time has passed you all by. Shitty questions in news conferences, weak reporting and no guts to get answers to real questions.

The trashing the Pulitzer writer is my favorite...how can anyone take you seriously in evaluating anything in your industry, much less the athletes written about?

Best of luck to you as you hit the ground.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey fucktard, if you can't follow the first rule thrown down by a hiring editor why in the hell would that person ever believe you'd follow the second, the third, the ... you and your kind on this thread attempt to rationalize calling a perspective boss after s/he asked not to be called proves your drive and intellect of becoming a good reporter. well, guess what? sometimes good reporters have to shut the fuck up and simply listen to what other people are saying.

tell you what, the next time anyone calls me after i post 'no calls,' instead of telling you the position is filled when it isn't and then proceed toss your resume in the trash, i'll ask your name again to be sure i got it right, thumb through the resumes while on the phone with you and then crumple it up next to the receiver and then tell you what i'm doing with your resume before i hang up. how do you like that wise guy?

keep right on calling, i'm sure it will pay dividends.

3. importantly..that is greatness. A word I and a buddy will use all day. We have laughed for an hour on that one.

More importanly, I'm just now realizing you guys are accusing me of trolling or being a sock puppet. So let me throw that out right now. A friend of mine from the West Coast (respected sports journalist) introduced me to the site last week. Yesterday was the first time I had seen it and have loved every minute of it. Some great information and really allows me to catch up on things I'm missing. I say missing as I'm no longer in the business full time. Former employee at DMN. So, although accused, Not Guilty.

More importantly, reading your Fucktard comments makes me wonder if you are not Bob Yates, the Nazi himself? Aside from that, which I could care less, what I was proposing to this guy was a more positive approach. But you've certainly re-cemented my mind in knowing that the entire profession is held back by miserable drivel editors like yourself. You guys need to get laid.

The best part is, the last guy that made similar comments like your's is now the President of the United States. So at least you've aligned yourself with the new generation of rationale...either you are with us, or you are against us. Not a lot of grey area there.

4. woops....meant to say

Fucktard....that is greatness. my apologies

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

point 1 -- if an ad says "no calls," i wouldn't call.

point 2 -- i also would immediiately crumple the ad and throw it in MY trash bin. such a request would tell ME all i needed to know about the guy doing the hiring. he's a dick with absolutely no people skills. no job is worth that shit -- not at these wages.

hey, what's good for the goose, right? you dicks want to judge a candidate by whether he follows directions? fine. and i'll judge a potential boss by the directions he gives.

screw all you turd bosses.

6. turd bosses...that's another good one.

7. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

After reading six pages of this debate I'm curious, has anyone actually called a "no call" ad and gotten the job? How many people have called and not gotten the job?

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, but I somewhat recently called a hiring editor to check on receipt of materials and after the chilly reception went back and checked the ad to see if it said "no calls." It didn't.

I would never, ever post an ad with "no calls." This thread just underscores why.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yep, not hiring people who can't take simple instruction is what's killing us. That's it. My friend, I think you've just solved all of the industry's problems. ::)

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Hey, after six pages Hejira hits the nail on the head.

Part of the job of being an editor is to deal with job applicants. If someone can't handle it, perhaps that person shouldn't be an editor.

An ad marked "no calls" marks "no brains" in the editor of that section.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Oh, and for those mattress points brought up a few pages ago:

The label may be removed ONLY by the consumer. that's the person who bought it. so you can remove the tag.

that is all.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's funny, I might have aligned myself more with gandhi's "what have you got to lose?" stance 20 years ago.

Before e-mail.

That's why this thread is kind of funny, much ado about -- well, something, admittedly, but with a workaround.

You send an e-mail. You have that alternative. So it's not like you have to simply sit passively and wait on them. You can take a proactive stance -- and still follow the simple instructions on the ad.

Not sure why this is so complicated.

Draft saved Draft deleted