1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling when ad says "no calls please"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ogre, Jul 25, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The tag on my hairdryer says I shouldn't use it in the bathtub. Do you think I should dry my hair while showering?

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Ogre, 99.99 percent of the time, the hiring editor is not as excited to talk to you as you are to talk to him. A phone call could annoy him.
    Shoot him the email and cross your fingers.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Generally, I'd have to say if the editor puts "no calls," I'd guess he or she may mean it. On the other hand, I've known a few editors who put that just to see which reporters have the audacity to actually call — like a test to see if they can cold call people. Guess it's your call, but I tend to stick with the side of not calling.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ah, they're kidding about that "no calls" stuff. It's reverse psychology. They figure if you don't call, you're not the aggressive person they want for the job. So call. Often. Even better, show up and plan to spend the day in the office, getting acquainted with the people who are certain to be your co-workers. Stop at 7-Eleven on the way to the office and pick up some snacks and a Big Gulp. Maybe a copy of Leg Show, too.

5. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

If I'm hiring and put "no calls" in the ad and someone called, I'd figure they didn't know how to read. That is, well, kinda important in this profession. I'd take their stuff and drop it in the trash.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I echo most everyone on this thread. If I got a call from a no-call ad, I'd ask the name, write it down and then find that resume to make sure 'I got it.'

7. ogre

ogre Member

Good to know. Guess I should apply for foodstamps soon.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Ogre,

If they don't like you, fuckem. So you called. Big whoop-de-doo.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That might not be why he's applying for food stamps.

For all you know, he could already work for Ogden, Heartland or CNHI.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Thanks for clarifying that, 2much.

11. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Which isn't necessarily, by the way, a bad thing.

If you're a good reporter, you would have disregarded the "stay within an arm's length of the boundaries" rule to get a better view of the golf course or forced your way into a college classroom or dorm when the SID tells you "there's absolutely no access opportunities today" to talk to an athlete many times throughout your career.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I agree, petitcher.

The people who put "no calls, please" in their ads seem to have forgotten how the world works.

Draft saved Draft deleted