1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling the Cops on Your Neighbors

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Apr 11, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's a story in today's New York Post about a guy killing his girlfriend.

It quotes someone who was staying with a neighbor:

My God, I would feel terrible if I was that neighbor and had never called the cops. (Though the article doesn't say one way or the other if the neighbor ever did call.)

So, have you ever called the cops to report a domestic situation regarding a neighbor?

I've had to do it twice, once about twenty years ago when I was living in the Bronx and once about two years ago about my current upstairs neighbors. That was awkward because I'm friendly enough with them and I'm the only other resident of the building, so they had to know it was me.

You can yell and scream all you want, but if it sounds like your hitting your significant other or inflicting or about to inflict pain in some other way, I'm calling the cops.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think that if you are used to hearing your neighbors argue all the time, you probably tend to tune it out, think it's the same old thing or secretly hope they kill each other so it will stop.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Shades of Kitty Genevese

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've called the cops on a neighbor who left his semi idling for two hours.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, I didn't realize that truck or bus drivers ever turned the damn things off.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You should have called Al Gore.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

"It went on for quite a while, at least 20 minutes," he said. "People from the building were yelling out, 'Where are you? What apartment?' She never answered them, and people started calling 911."

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As many know from a previous thead, I had drug-dealing neighbors living across the street from me and my wife and I called the cops on them for several times, for noise, parties and the drug dealing.

One of those times included when one of the druggies was outside at 3 a.m. screaming into his cell phone that he was going to take a baseball bat to the other person. We called, partially because of the noise, and partially because the guy was threatening violence. The cops came and calmed him down enough.But they didn't arrest him (Like I said, they gave these as-holes a lot of leeway).

After the druggies moved out, the house was empty for a couple of months until nice people moved in. But in that interim, one night, I heard a loud banging across the street. I looked out my window, and saw one of the druggies trying to break in. He wasn't able to, turned, looked around to see that nobody was watching him, and ran up the street. I called the cops, gave them a description. Cops picked him up a while later.

One of cops told me that he was trying to evade them because they had a warrant out for his arrest for beating up his girlfriend. So, I guess, in a way, I did call the police for a domestic violence situation, even though I didn't know it at the time.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

About 15 years ago, I got woken up by my screaming neighbors diagonally across the hall. Since I rarely heard any noise at all from any of my neighbors or anyone in the hall, I was alarmed. I listened at my door for a few minutes and it was clearly a couple fighting (I had never seen who lived there). I probably would have left it at that, but I soon heard some noise that sounded like a person slamming into a wall. I called 911 and the cops showed up pretty quickly. As best I could tell from watching through the peephole, they calmed the situation down and no one got arrested. A couple of weeks later, movers showed up. I couldn't tell if one or both of them moved out, though.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Not necessarily like these, but...

Eight years ago, I was on a road trip with my girlfriend in the middle of the night. Stopped for a break at a rest stop. In a far corner of the parking lot, the high beams of an SUV started going on and off. Then they stopped. We called the cops and were on our way.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Probably 15 years ago, I called 911 when the next-door neighbors were screaming at each other around 2 a.m.

The husband had returned home that day from an overseas stint during the first Gulf War and found out his wife had been unfaithful in his absence.

(I didn't know the couple, but knew the husband was deployed and often wondered who the guy at his house was).

Four or five other neighbors also called the cops, who calmed the situation without any arrests.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Three years ago, the new neighbor in the apartment below me fell asleep with his stereo blaring. I was going to go down to ask him to turn it down but found his door was open (and at this complex, all the doors faced outside, not a hallway). So I called the cops because even though the door was open, I figured if I went in, I'd be trespassing.

It wasn't the first time he'd been loud and obnoxious. Thing is, I'd had four or five different people below me in the 3 1/2 years I'd been there and he was the first and only one who had ever been a problem. And he'd only been there six weeks or so.

A few weeks later, he decided to hold a St. Patrick's Day party. But St. Pattie's day was a Tuesday that year. I wasn't the only one who called the cops but after they left he started pounding on his ceiling and yelling if I was happy.

A week after that, I found out this was the landlord's son ... who was an alcoholic and his old man had put him in that apartment because it was close to the street where he could drive by and check on him. Obviously, that plan was working out.

So I asked to be switched to another apartment. The manager apologized profusely and said she had told the landlord that below me was probably the worst place he could go.

Three weeks later, I got a note from the manager. The downstairs neighbors had complained about me because, I guess, I walk too loud. At the end of her note was, "just trying to make everybody happy."

I walked into the manager's office the next day, showed her the note and said, "If you're tying to make everybody happy, you're doing a piss-poor job of it because I've been unhappy for the last two months and this is the last straw." I gave my month's advance notice and moved into my aunt's old house where I haven't had a neighbor problem since.

A-holes screwed me out of my deposit, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted