1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling sources on a holiday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, May 10, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Great story. That made me chuckle.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK now he's a dick. And letting complaining parents know that one reason you can't write much about their kids is that you don't get the info, that would be entirely justified.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If calling the source on a "holiday" (and don't get me fucking started on Mother's Day being a "holiday") is absolutely vital to your writing the story, do it. You can express empathy with having to bother the source on the "holiday," but if you have a job that requires you to make that call, make it and don't think twice.

If calling the source can be done without it being a holiday, then wait.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first words out of your mouth should be, "Sorry to call you at home/on a holiday/etc..."

That usually helps...

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, so to put a fine point on the story, I went over there and the coach was completely cool and was like, "Oh, yeah, he's over there."

Some of these guys are just so gruff and curmudgeonly, you just don't know what they're thinking. Some h.s. coaches want three days to think about a feature on one of their kids, to weigh the pros and cons. Some don't understand why you're running it past them at all - "Just come by!"

Draft saved Draft deleted