1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling Someone Boy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Italian_Stallion, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I was doing a story on boxing today. In talking to a trainer, I inadvertently referred to his best fighter as "your boy." I couldn't recall his name. I was sort of inferring "homeboy." But I didn't want to say that because I think it sounds peculiar from a balding white guy. It reminded me of the NFL complaint regarding the official who supposedly called a player "boy." Is that an improper term. The guy was 27. Clearly, he's not a boy. But he's still a boy to me. I meant nothing racist. I just want to make sure that I didn't ruffle any feathers. The trainer didn't say anything. So I assume I'm in the clear.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Boy, what in the hell is the matter with you?

/Fletch

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It depends on context.

I'm pretty sure they'd know you mean nothing racist behind it. I think "your boy" is pretty much standard for "homeboy." Seems to have been for a while as far as I can tell.

4. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Oh boy.

Don't sweat it dude. "Your boy" is part of the lexicon these days — Wilbon and Kornheiser throw it out all the time, and they're not the only ones.

If you said "Who's that boy?" or called the boxer over by saying "Hey, boy!" it might be a different story. Either way, it looks like your PC radar is fully in tact.

5. How about this one for sounding stupid? I was talking to a high school football player after a practice and was asking him to point out one of his teammates I was looking for, but couldn't find. So I said, "I can't tell you guys apart." It was at this point I realized what I had said and that I was talking to a black player and asking about another black player. I only meant that without their jerseys on with their numbers visible, I had no idea what they looked like up close. I quickly stammered through an explanation about what I really meant, and the kid laughed it off. Thankfully. I felt pretty stupid though.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Of course! His wife's name is Sally Ann Cavanaugh.

7. Stallion is a naughty boy.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Boy, shut up.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you're my boy, doug.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I do wish I WERE a boy again.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's been a staple of boxing terminology for, like, forever.

Can sense it isn't used nearly so much, today, but it's still there, in that context.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I always go with "your pugilist" just so I don't feel guilty enough to start a post about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted