1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling Out Michael Phelps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 10, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Drew Brees is listed as 6-0, same as Brendan Hansen, former breaststroke world record holder and current Olympian.

2. poindexter

Janet Evans broke world records forever - she was 5-5.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Spudd Webb, to pick one of your examples, could jump freakishly high and was freakishly quick. That wasn't the result of training any more than Michael Phelps' big hands are. But if he couldn't hit a jump shot or execute a precise pass, skills that took him thousands of hours of practice, he would have never made it to the NBA. Just like Phelps would never have become an eight-time gold medalist without training and perfecting his technique, no matter how long his wingspan is.

The writer didn't do anything to prove to me that you can't become an elite swimmer unless you have big hands and a long wingspan. All she did was provide a few examples of elite swimmers who do have that. And after boasting about her book and the way she dove into the science of swimming, I was expecting to read some reasons as to why that may be true. She didn't deliver on that in any way.

4. poindexter

David Berkoff revolutionized the sport in the late 80's by swimming a large part of the race underwater.

5. poindexter

Put 100 million men in an NFL backfield to drop back to pass, and they wouldn't be able to process the information and throw like Drew Brees. To imply that Brees is an "everyman" is laughable.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You aren't even trying to grasp the point, which is that body type doesn't rule all in football the way it does in swimming.

7. poindexter

And like I said, Brees is the same height as Brendan Hansen.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My wife can't stand him. I don't know why, maybe it was the pot party after 2008, but for whatever that's worth, she can't stand his ass.

And she does not give a shit about almost everything sports.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think as he pointed out with Janet Evans, and as I pointed out with Mark Spitz, body type doesn't necessarily rule the pool either.

If it does, the author did a lousy job of showing it.

10. poindexter

This dude won gold in the last two olympics and he's 5-10.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosuke_Kitajima

11. poindexter

This dude was 5-2 and won a silver in the IM in the 80's

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/pr/ricardo-prado-1.html

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Phelps is not gritty gutty and hardworking.

Draft saved Draft deleted