1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling Out Michael Phelps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or in the words of Frank Costello:

I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me. No one gives it to you. You have to take it.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

They asked, the kid answered. I have no idea if he's right or if he's a punk kid spouting off at the mouth. But I like the honesty.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You want to be the blue-collar guy who works hard to overcome the odds? Shut up and train. You can talk shit when you win.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ding ding.

Want to say crap like that? Beat Phelps, over and over again.

Until that happens, he just comes off like a sore loser.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Honesty or not, he sounds like a complete fool when he consistently loses to the person he criticizes. In fact, he's yet to win anything on the world stage.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If you can't beat Michael Phelps while he's ripping bong hits, chowing Subway and banging skanky chicks in Vegas, it's not Phelps who needs to work harder.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I tend to root for the athletes that succeed on hard work over those who get by on natural abilities, but Phelps swam eight events at the Olympics and won eight gold medals. So how hard did he work? The correct answer is hard enough.

8. poindexter

So explain to me what would have happened to Phelps if he worked as hard as Clary wanted: He would have had gold medals and world records?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting subject to me. How would you know the difference?

10. poindexter

When they tell an Inland Empire columnist that they work harder.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's hard to know unless you are around them a lot. I tend to think the Lion's share of people who make it to an elite level of sports work hard. But you do see people sometimes that aren't particularly fast or athletic and perform better than their physical gifts would suggest they should.

12. That being said I can NOT fucking stand Phelps.

Draft saved Draft deleted