1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling Out Michael Phelps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 10, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've learned on facebook that men do nothing but give each other shit - but they really don't mean it.
    Women do nothing but compliment each other - but they really don't mean it.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

If they want to perform on that level, nobody can use that concern, argument or excuse, especially when they're talking/wondering about how they might have done against Michael Phelps. After all, he didn't, when he was in Beijing.

As for Clary, I was happy to see him win a gold medal, even if it didn't come against Phelps.

Clary said some things that, in hindsight, were dumb-sounding and made him seem nothing but petty and jealous. Obviously, they were things that he wishes he hadn't said. But, by winning an Olympic gold, I think it at least made it so that he could, perhaps, actually stake a place in the same pool with Phelps, and maybe his words could be given a little more food for thought.

Outside of Southern California, I doubt anybody in the general public had ever heard of Clary before this past week.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is one of the most succinct, accurate summations I've ever read. Dead on.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Because Tyler Clary won a gold medal, we should listen to him when he says Michael Twenty Medals Phelps is a slacker? Uh, OK.

And you're right on the premise in your last paragraph, but wrong on the timing. Before last month nobody had heard of him. Then he grabbed Phelps' cape to get in the picture, and everyone has heard of him now.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No, I don't necessarily think that. People can still choose not to listen, because what Clary said was dumb, and, as far as any of us can tell, is incorrect and unfair as it pertains to Phelps.

But I'd consider what Clary said more with him being a gold medalist than I would if he was an eighth-place finisher, or if he hadn't qualified for finals at all.

Did anyone even consider that he might win that medal? I doubt it. After the way he talked, I'm guessing a lot of people probably had him pegged as a complete nobody/probable non-qualifier based on what we might have heard or known of him previously. At least, now, he can say he's an Olympic gold medalist.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's spot on Poin. Spot on.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Phelps is the greatest swimmer of all time. Case closed.

Anyone who mocks him is a clown. He has the hardware to back up anything he wants to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted