1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

calling New Mexico sj.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Dec 7, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Any suggestions for an inexpensive yet pleasant motel in Albuquerque or within one hour radius of Albuquerque? I like Socorro and have been wondering about the motels there. Are all the places in Madrid overpriced? Are any of the Route 66 motels in Albuquerque not disgusting? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There are any number of cheap motels on the main drag.

I always enjoyed my 'querque nights. Fantastic blastoffs.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Make sure you visit Old Town. It's awesome down there.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I vote for Tucumcari. We used to stay at a Days Inn right off the interstate there and my dad always told the cheesy indian love story about Tucum and Cari when we were little.

Edit: I don't know how far from Albuquerque (sp?).

5. Songbird

Drive up to Santa Fe for a few hours.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

There's a NEW Mexico??

7. Flash

Flash Guest

I second this, if you have the time, that is.

8. writing irish

Gracias for the suggestions so far. I lived in Albuquerque from 94-99 and know the town well in general, but I don't know jack about motel options. I'll be staying with friends in town for the most part, but a lady friend and I would like a room in which to have some privacy during part of the visit. I'm thinking of Socorro since it's only an hour away and is liable to have motels that are both cheaper and cleaner than those in ABQ. We'll be hitting Santa Fe for day-trip stuff, certainly, but I've no wish to pay Santa Fe prices for lodging.

The motels on Central...when I lived in the 'Cracky, I lived just off of Central Ave on two occasions- a very nice spot between Broadway and I-25 and a not-so-nice spot between Carlisle and Washington. The latter was close to the De Anza motel, forever immortalized in an epsiode of "Cops" when some drunk driver plowed into three (!) light poles right in front of the De Anza. I was always amused by the three shiny-new poles right in a row on that block.

So I'm well aware of the many motels in town, but I've never stayed in any of them. Was wondering if any had anyone personal experience to report.

Tucumcari has a wealth of cheap and decent motels, but sadly, it's pretty far from Albuquerque...between 2-3 hours. And the scenery around I-40 takes a sharp turn for the uninteresting once you get east of Santa Rosa.

9. Songbird

Try the Avalon ... and if it's not called Avalon, it starts with an A. Maybe Aladin.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So THAT'S what they're calling themselves these days?

:D :D :D

11. writing irish

She's not a big gal, but she's a very spry and fit yoga teacher who could likely kick your ass. :)

12. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Bow chicka BOW WOW!

Draft saved Draft deleted