1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling France for cheap

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

Since this is the best place to go for advice...

My girlfriend is currently in France for six weeks. Looking for the cheapest way to call her. Phone cards? Internet? Whatever works.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Skype or audio chat through an instant messaging service. Both only cost whatever it does to access the net, which she hopefully will be able to do for free.

3. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

never used skype, but i've heard it's an easy (and basically free) way to talk -- complete with video if you've got a webcam -- overseas.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You could call collect, that way you pay nothing!

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My parents talk to aunts and uncles all over the country on Skype. It's fairly easy.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you don't want to, or can't, use Skype, I usually use 10-10-345 to call Europe. I think it's called Lucky Dog Long Distance, but it's owned by AT&T. Rates are pretty cheap. Website is http://www.luckydog.com/ if you want to check it out.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Your girlfriend is in France for six weeks? Well, I hope it was a good run.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Skype. Use it to communicate with co-workers in Europe and Australia. Works like a charm.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've used Skype to talk to a boatload of people from all over the world. Except for having your ass plastered to a seat instead of having a phone attached to your ear, it sounds a lot like a phone conversation. And it's cheaper, too.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I agree with those saying Skype. I was in Europe a few summers ago and I know a lot of girls on the trip used it to talk to their boyfriends back on this side of the ocean. I have a friend teaching English in Spain and I knew she uses it to talk to family and friend in the U.S.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Another vote for Skype. It's not just computer-to-computer. That's free, but you can also put money in your account and call landlines for incredibly cheap.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I use Skype all the time to talk to my kids down east and when HC goes to France this Thursday (for six weeks), that's how we'll talk. Great service.

Draft saved Draft deleted