1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling BS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Dec 12, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

For one, the Serie A and Premier League match and MLS match have very little probability of being on live at the same time, so that makes it a false choice in the first place, just as if I were to say "If I've got the choice of watching Formula 1 or Indycar, I'm watching F1."

The point is that the MLS needs the people who purport to be soccer fans to show up at the turnstiles on a weekly basis, because they are missing out on a far better product than they know. That's where the snobbery comes in, that people automatically assume that because it's MLS, it's not good soccer.

I buy the online MLS GameCenter package every season because I enjoy watching the league, I don't have a side in my area, and that's the best option for me thanks to my work schedule. It's $20 a season, and in addition to the live games you get every week, you can watch full replays of the ESPN, Fox Soccer or Telefutura games once they're over. That's how I follow, and try to support, MLS because I can't go to games personally.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you were to compare MLS/ Premier league to Professional baseball , Is the MLS and Premier league comparable or is it more like Double A or Triple A compared to MLB?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Difficult comparison to make.

Triple A baseball certainly doesn't contain the types of players that the top of MLS does like Landon Donovan, David Beckham, Guillermo Barros Schelotto or Ricardo Clark. There are players in MLS who I think could certainly play in a top European league, guys like Jeff Cunningham for example, and the fact that players like Jozy Altidore, Brad Guzan, DaMarcus Beasley and many others who have used MLS as a starting point to do so is indicative of the players that come through MLS to move on.

There are others in MLS who wouldn't be able to make that move, who are to MLS what your standard English, Italian or Spanish players are to their domestic leagues, a solid player who isn't upper echelon, but can make a living playing the game in his own country. In those countries, because of the stature of the sport, that extends far below the top division, with there being fully professional teams in the fifth division of English soccer. But that doesn't mean players on those sides, or even those in the third or fourth division, would automatically waltz into an MLS starting lineup.

In short, MLS is to America a microcosm of what domestic leagues are everywhere. The difference is that because of roster restrictions and the salary cap employed by MLS, the Superclubs that the EPL, Serie A and La Liga contain aren't present in the U.S.

As much as the L.A. Galaxy would like to tell you otherwise, as it stands they can never be a Manchester United, Real Madrid or Barcelona because of the way MLS is structured in comparison to other leagues around the world. Some would say that's good for the overall level of competition within the league, and for making sure the league itself is financially viable, but it does restrict the kinds of players that any MLS club could bring in to elevate not only itself, but also the way the league could be perceived.

Anyway, Liverpool-Arsenal is over. Time for Akron-Virginia for the NCAA Championship, starting in five minutes on ESPN2.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Well, we are now, after we got our brows all tweezed off! ;D

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I call BS on almost every consumer-product television advertisement, from phones to home security to lawn care to the lady with kids and a nice car and a nice house saying she can't afford not to buy two-liters of soda for her kids, so don't legislate against junk food.

If you believed TV, 95% of Americans have over 500,000 dollars in home equity, but a significantly larger percentage of them need to shop at Walmart to save money, or rollover minutes to make their monthly budget, or buy two-liters of soda instead of buying Juicy Juice for a dollar more.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Your what all tweezed off?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are absolutely entitled to that opinion of anonymous message-board posts, just as I am entitled to say that it is a load of shit. The anonymity also allows people to be truly honest rather than holding back things with their real names attached. It's a worthwhile trade-off.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Brows. Men usually have one.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think my double-entendre font got by you.

Draft saved Draft deleted