1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling bowling experts ... is this a 300 or not?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 23, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Mine's sitting in the front yard garden as an ornament because it's worth nothing.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

They had an afterschool bowling league when I was in 5th and 6th grade (mid 70s when bowling was huge); fantastic time, bus picked us up at school and took us to the bowling alley, we got fries and cokes and then bowled three games/matches with our bowling team shirts and you earned patches (150, 200, etc.) Highlight as a 6th grader (well my life), got in the zone one time and bowled a 238 and a 600 series (3 gms). Although went over 200 again, never went over 600 again. I've always loved bowling.

maumann likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In my days of pounding out bowling agate, I'm reminded the manager of the local lanes didn't want a fuss made over a 300 game bowled on a "rock and bowl" night, since it was outside regular league play.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I won mine at the league banquet when I was in junior leagues in seventh grade. I've thought about buying a new one but I just don't see me getting worth out of it.

maumann likes this.
  5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I took a bowling class for PE as a college freshman and the instructor was bowling a game so people who didn't know would learn how to keep score. All he did was throw 12 straight strikes. Aced that one!

maumann likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Gotta say when I got my first bowling ball (9lbs!), bag and shoes I felt like I was right there with Mark Roth.

MTM, HanSenSE and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  7. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My favorite bowling story ... A woman called our small-town sports desk one day angry about her league bowling trophy, the plate on it fell off to reveal "runner-up 1983 Pensacola Open" or something -- the former pro that owned the local lanes was such a cheap bastard that he took his old trophies and re-plated them for league winners. The publisher wasn't a big fan of the pro and insisted on a story, so I had to go ask the pro why he did it. He was nice enough, just didn't think it was a big deal, said he'd buy the poor old lady a new trophy. We splashed it across the top of the sports section like it was a major scandal. Which it was in the old ladies league.

maumann, HanSenSE and Vombatus like this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Have a blue Zone bowling ball from 1998.
    [​IMG]

maumann and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And if we did, what would be the problem?
    upload_2020-9-24_16-14-43.png

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Put Hondo down for a Columbia 300.

maumann likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted